Mini Bert! An s10... Maybe a ZR2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I changed the front dif and transfer case fluid today, also checked the rear dif level. I am low on rtv, so I can't change the rear yet. That is a bit irritating. A drain plug would be nice.

I ordered a tuned ecm from Blackbear. It won't be a radical change - just to make it drive a bit better, and last a bit longer. After driving tuned vehicles, it is hard to live with the stock tune...

Other than the tune, hopefully it is only routine (if we can call it that on a 23 yr old truck) maintenance in the future. The project is close enough to call it done. I really like the truck, so it was a success.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's worth is to pull the cover. I think I put 70k on this gear oil. After saw how nasty it was I checked the owner's manual and whoops, it spec'd 30k.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I changed the rear dif oil, changed engine oil, and flushed out the dexcool. The dexcool still tested good, but you could tell that it was on the verge of turning into mud. That stuff is nasty. All better now, running with regular antifreeze.

BB sent me a smarter ecm also - That makes life better.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Somebody had installed cheaper shocks on the front. They looked fairly new so I was planning to stick with them for a while. After putting some miles on the truck, you could tell that those shocks just weren't up to the challenge of controlling the big tires on a little truck.

I replaced them with the Bilstiens. Major improvement!

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been using Mini to haul my dirt bike 125 miles north once a week to ride with some friends. The other night the alternator went out on my way home. It was late and I was in a hurry, so I called a tow truck. To tow my truck home (110 miles) from where it quit, it was $458. Ouch.

So... I am going to start throwing a bit of $$$ at stuff that might need attention in the future. I'd much rather put it into preventative parts replacement than pay the towing company.

Ordered a Wilwood proportioning valve and new brake line/fittings off of ebay - will scrap the abs and run all new hard lines, just like Bert has. Ordered new front cv axles and seals from Rock auto.

I am sure that I will find other stuff to replace, but that is the stuff that needs obvious attention.

Something positive that comes out of this - I have to use Bert as my daily driver for a while. Man does that v8 sound good!

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled the abs box and all lines this morning. I was planning to reuse the rubber lines but after looking at them closer, ordered new ones from Rock Auto.

Out with the old...