Media Blasted Aluminum Heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ht89

Reaction score
I got my heads back from the machine shop and was surprised to see that they had been blasted.
It's the first time I've had aluminum heads redone by a machine shop... is this normal?

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t speak to what is normal, but what specifically did they do of concern during the process of media blasting them?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk, A shop I use that has done quite a few for me refuses to blast anything where media can get into internal passages. He has charged me a small fee for blasting coked up valves when I've brought him your basic street beater, just get it together, valve job but he won't blast a head or intake to make it pretty.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The engines I work on if the heads are good just built up carbon we'll blast them to clean everything then lap the the valves in. Did you ask the shop if that's something they do all the time or if they saw something?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had some heads gone through a few years back and the shop didn't want to blast them, but I don't recall their reasoning.

ht89

Reaction score
My heads were soda blasted and decked. Evidently it's the way to go.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice thing about soda blasting is that soda is water-soluble. Dunk the heads in a big bucket of water, soda washes away.

Gotta be more careful with glass bead, walnut shells, plastic media, etc.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We glass bead then run through parts washer before hand washing an hosing out. I'd prefer to soda but I'm not the manager so oh well