Maxing out payload with Slide in Camper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Back in the late 70s when we had our auto parts store, we sold Monroe shocks, and could get Gabriel from one of the 6 parts jobber warehouses in Houston then. Ran Monroe Magnums on every truck we had; great improvements in ride and handling. Occasionally we'd have a comeback on the ones we sold, but not often.
My Dad preferred the Gabriel air shocks, because the bags were more armored than the Monroe ones. Hi Jackers was what the Gabriel air shocks were called. Couldn't use that now I imagine!
I think the shocks that shop put on my Burb last May are Gabriel private label ones. Definitely not truck shocks. Better than the 21 year old wore out ones, but I'm seriously considering upgrading once some of the other stuff is taken care of.
Sorry to hear bad things about Monroe shocks; they used to be really good.
We had Gas Magnums on all our trucks and Burbs when they came out. Even had the Gas Magnums for Caprice police cars on the front of our 82 LeSabre Estate Wagon ( had air shocks on the back). I discovered those were available by looking through the catalog! They did help that thing be less of a boat!

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I haven't had to buy shocks in a while, but when I have, always bought Monroe shocks, and got good service out of them. I had a set of Gabriel Hi Jackers on the back of a '79 Camaro, way back in the day, and I remember my dad having some on a '70 Chevelle, when I was a kid.

Have heard a lot of good about Bilsteins, but never owned a set.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have been using Monroe Gas Magnums since the '80's, got rid of the KyB's on the GMC k1500 and went all Monroe, much better. Have them on my 1st tow vehicle a 1965 Chevy Van been working good since 1988. Van has a 292 with headers, HEI and Weber Carb. Not going to change just because somebody else doesn't like them or has had bad luck. I've had all good luck with them.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have been using Monroe Gas Magnums since the '80's, got rid of the KyB's on the GMC k1500 and went all Monroe, much better. Have them on my 1st tow vehicle a 1965 Chevy Van been working good since 1988. Van has a 292 with headers, HEI and Weber Carb. Not going to change just because somebody else doesn't like them or has had bad luck. I've had all good luck with them.