Maxing out payload with Slide in Camper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to run those Bilsteins on a one ton. They were completely incapable of controlling it when loaded, as in legitimately unsafe. Threw them away and replaced them with a pair of Monroe 34985, which handle like a champ.

I have the Monroe Gas Magnum shocks (name of shock with part number that carlaisle posted) at all four corners on both of my trucks and they do a damned good job especially considering their price.

I know folks swear by Rancho and KYB, and maybe they have better overall longevity, but I think there are alternatives.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I tried to run those Bilsteins on a one ton. They were completely incapable of controlling it when loaded, as in legitimately unsafe. Threw them away and replaced them with a pair of Monroe 34985, which handle like a champ.

thanks for that info. I see the place of business is Quebec Canada, anyone know if the shocks are Canadian made? still searching.... my burb needs new shocks.

EDIT ya I just clued in that a burb has slightly different shocks than a pick up but I have what I need in my cart now,

Thanks!

Al

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the reply. It's tempting, but I think I'll have my hands full with the truck and the Crown Vic. I'm too old to have a bunch of projects but nothing finished. I'm going to bow out of my camper pipe dreams.
Campers and RVs in general kinda fall into the same category as boats.
The first year, you use it every chance you get,
The second year you use it a little less.
The third year you take it out and everything starts to break.
The fourth year you cant take it out because its broken and it ends up in the yard where nothing good happens to it.
And, by the time you finnally give up and try to sell it?
It aint worth ****.
And a huge pain in the ass factor involved.
RVs and boats can make for great fun filled vacations for everyone,
everyone except the guy who owns it.
Rent a motorhome, insure the piss out of it and drive it like a rental car.
Thats actually alot of fun.
Charter a boat and insure the piss out of it.
Also fun.
The best kind of RV or boat is somebody elses rv or boat.
Use em and leave em brother.
Dont end up with one lurking in your driveway.

Ben Burrage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade shocks and brakes first, where did you find HD shocks? I was looking at bilstien 5100 but have a 2" lift and need to be sure they are the correct length.

I have 97 K1500 with level kit and rear 2in blocks running 5100s just fine. I do have new 3/4 ton torsion bars up front though, so no sagging on my setup..

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have 97 K1500 with level kit and rear 2in blocks running 5100s just fine. I do have new 3/4 ton torsion bars up front though, so no sagging on my setup..

The 2 are valved very similarly. The concern on your setup would be bottoming out the shocks before the suspension. The concern with a 4600 on a lift would be topping them out, which is unpossible without something to drop the front components. 1500/2500 rear shocks are the same PN, so lifting a 1500 to 2500 height won't top it out too soon either.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I find that a miracle. I run an automotive shop and I refuse to sell Gabriel or Monroe due to complaints and warranties. It is either kyb or Bilstein for 90% of what I sell and I have yet to have a complaint on either one. Not saying that you are full of it, just relaying my experience.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I find that a miracle. I run an automotive shop and I refuse to sell Gabriel or Monroe due to complaints and warranties. It is either kyb or Bilstein for 90% of what I sell and I have yet to have a complaint on either one. Not saying that you are full of it, just relaying my experience.

With your background you undoubtedly have more experience than I do. Those were the first Bilsteins I have owned. I gave them a try because I had seen so many people say good things about them. Unloaded the ride was unremarkable, but they handled fine. Loaded I might as well have had no shocks at all. It could be that I received the only duds to ever leave the factory. After my experience, if I ran an automotive repair shop and someone requested that I install those shocks on a similar vehicle I would decline. I couldn't do it in good conscience. The Monroes have been on there for 3 years and are as good as the day they were installed.