Max towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know about the legalities of these light-duty truck weights from a state DOT standpoint. I'm not even sure if here in the state the DOT enforces them here? Maybe they do and I'm just not aware of it? I don't recall anything GVWR/CGWR, etc. on the type C driver's license test 20 years ago.

I once took a load of rock and busted concrete to the landfill and when I got weighed I was just a hair over my 9200# GVWR. I mean, I squinted with one eye when I was loading the 'ol Chebby. And my vision was probably a bit blurry because concrete work sucks when it's like 105F outside in the summer...She didn't seem to sagging "that" much until I showed up to the scale, LOL. And I had no idea what the curb weight of the darn thing was (had just bought it.) It's not like folks have a scale in their garage to weigh their trucks.

IIRC, the weight on the last truck got the title on was not really accurate. I'll double check. The GVWR and curb weight didn't really jive. No mention on CGWR...

Now, semi trucks and commercial trucks are way different. (I don't know what triggers "commercial?" weight? 10k? 26k? business vs personal use?) Maybe the Type A/B & CDL requirements? My brother is a CDL big rig driver and he's told me about them state troopers pulling 18-wheeler rigs over on interstates and weighing them. Big trouble if they are over.

Do your own due diligence. Don't be this guy:
You must be registered for see images attach

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
I'd never tow that much on my truck, ever. I don't remember the towing limit, having more than 7k on it was nerve raking. This is on a 454 with 4.10 gears, automatic; and you're towing 2 times that on a 1500 frame and a 350. Sounds too dangerous.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know about the legalities of these light-duty truck weights from a state DOT standpoint. I'm not even sure if here in the state the DOT enforces them here? Maybe they do and I'm just not aware of it? I don't recall anything GVWR/CGWR, etc. on the type C driver's license test 20 years ago.

I once took a load of rock and busted concrete to the landfill and when I got weighed I was just a hair over my 9200# GVWR. I mean, I squinted with one eye when I was loading the 'ol Chebby. And my vision was probably a bit blurry because concrete work sucks when it's like 105F outside in the summer...She didn't seem to sagging "that" much until I showed up to the scale, LOL. And I had no idea what the curb weight of the darn thing was (had just bought it.) It's not like folks have a scale in their garage to weigh their trucks.

IIRC, the weight on the last truck got the title on was not really accurate. I'll double check. The GVWR and curb weight didn't really jive. No mention on CGWR...

Now, semi trucks and commercial trucks are way different. (I don't know what triggers "commercial?" weight? 10k? 26k? business vs personal use?) Maybe the Type A/B & CDL requirements? My brother is a CDL big rig driver and he's told me about them state troopers pulling 18-wheeler rigs over on interstates and weighing them. Big trouble if they are over.

Commercial is triggered by if it is for a business or personal use, that will require DOT # etc. What drives CDL requirement is GCWR of 26,001lbs or more. Non CDL Hotshots will have their trailers derated to keep them at 26,000lbs or less. So my truck is 8600 GVWR, the dump trailer I used was 14k GVWR making my GCWR 22,600.

Of course there are a lot of other rules with lengths, heights etc. But that's the jist of it.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Commercial is triggered by if it is for a business or personal use, that will require DOT # etc. What drives CDL requirement is GCWR of 26,001lbs or more. Non CDL Hotshots will have their trailers derated to keep them at 26,000lbs or less. So my truck is 8600 GVWR, the dump trailer I used was 14k GVWR making my GCWR 22,600.

Of course there are a lot of other rules with lengths, heights etc. But that's the jist of it.
From my understanding, and from my pop's stop in NC by a trooper, trailer gvwr can trigger need for CDL regardless of combined GCWR being below 26,000 lbs. VA on the other hand, interpreted the same wording as 26,000 GCWR being required before the Class A is needed. His case was a 2006 duramax 2500 and a 7-ton equipment trailer.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From my understanding, and from my pop's stop in NC by a trooper, trailer gvwr can trigger need for CDL regardless of combined GCWR being below 26,000 lbs. VA on the other hand, interpreted the same wording as 26,000 GCWR being required before the Class A is needed. His case was a 2006 duramax 2500 and a 7-ton equipment trailer.
This intrigues me, now I will be doing research!

EDIT -- Just looked it up and for New York for example, the requirements are as I stated, a trailer with a load of 10k or larger, and a vehicle carrying over 16 people.

I believe most states don't pay much attention as long as you're not running commercially though.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When consider all the factors, the law and courts will only see the VIN capacity not your upgrades. The rules and regulations by state whether you hold a commercial license or not, and Federal DOT regulations.
You may be able to move and pull whatever load you want without reguard to capacity. The big surprise is you can get the huge load to move but can you stop it and keep it from driving you off the road or into oncoming traffic? Gross Combined Vehicle Capacity is not just pulling power, it's combination of all three. Pulling or towing, control/ steering and stopping. Most basic our trucks capacity goes up brakes get bigger. Good luck.

jhornsby3

Reaction score
In most cases, it's not the weights or what you are using to pull with. A commercial vehicle can be a smart car. Or it can be a 1997 Peterbilt with a 900 horse CAT that can crush smart cars and their not so smart drivers. It's the appearance you exude. Put anything construction on a trailer and you "look" commercial. And to be clear, if your company has enough violations to DOT or FMCSA laws, you can be forced to run log books for everything from that, above mentioned smart car, all the way up to the biggest of heavy haul trucks. Been there, done that. So if you appear to be any type of commercial operation, then you are. And if your not, you still are.

A commercial license is not always needed for combined loads of over 26k. If your a state only driver and don't travel to any other states, you might be able to forgo the CDL. When I got my CDL A, all I needed was a commercial C. But there was a possible need for a B later. So for the same money I got the A with all endorsements but HAZMAT.

The weight is not in any computer database. It's right there on the door or door frame. But the VIN will also tell the story if your inclined to peel that decal off. But doing so can get you a ticket if stopped and the DOT is called in.

As for trucks and weights? Portable "jump scales" are all the rage. And any state trooper or DOT enforcement can throw them up within 5 miles of any interstate. So trust me when I say, it's best to know all the dirt roads to travel with a dump truck that is rated and registered at 97k but you always run 105k and up. And yes, I had to do it only one time. That scale ticket said I was at 125k but it looked like it was only 82k.

But again, it's your ride. Haul what you want when you want. I won't stop you, unless you run into me.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score

I'm wondering if that trailer is empty. And assuming that it's an 53FT and EMPTY, that easily could be ~15K. Nevermind if it's loaded (which is probably around 45K).

OP: If you are wanting to tow anything over 8K-ish, just get a 3/4 or even 1 ton. I had that Idea with a K1500 and a 4.3/NV4500(originally a NV3500, but swapping it for the 4500), but eventually abandoned the idea. Mostly because what I want to do is going to be in the 12K-15K range and I'll really need a medium duty for that.

If you REALLY want to tow anything above 10K, get a Kodiak or something similar. They will handle that sort of weight better than a pickup can.

But the best advice I can give is, get yourself a dash camera. And not just a cheap "action camera", but a dedicated camera(usually around $150~), because with a dash camera, you are paying for camera quality more than anything.

In the event you are in a wreck and whether you are towing 4K, 5K, or even an empty trailer and someone pulls out infront of you and you inevitably rear-end the person, that footage will help protect you, especially in the event of possible insurance fraud.

I personally run a Thinkware F200 in my C1500 and It's saved my a$$ more times than I can remember.

Just my 2 cents.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O.P...
Bottom line is: the stated GVWR can not be legally modified on a half ton just by installing leafs and axles.
The authorities are still gonna go by the sticker in the door jamb. You'll be towing out of class and subject to penalties if caught. Dont risk it.