Max towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I know my truck is a poor example but I'm looking to get a 14k trailer, 2800 empty and put a skid steer on it. Would I have issues? Hitch is rated at 16k. 1500 frame 2500 rear and suspension. Will have the 5.7 4l80 in soon. Currently has 5.0 4l60. I've towed 5k with no problem but getting to 10-11k I'm skeptical. Since obviously the book says max is only 7k according to the OM. Will obviously have brakes and wouldn't be long trips. Cars on the other hand I'd be under and I wouldn't worry. Biggest thing I would have on there is probably my gmt800 Tahoe

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your insurance company going to say if you're in a collision? You're shy on frame, you're shy on brakes. It may pull OK, but will it stop and steer? What are the wheels rated for? Ever seen an overloaded wheel fold-up?

What will the cops and prosecutors say if you kill someone in a collision? Truck overloaded--maybe means you get hit with "Negligent Homicide". That doesn't look good on the ol' resume. And it won't matter if the load or your truck has anything to do with the collision, if their lawyer smells a payoff. You'll have to prove that the overloaded truck wasn't to blame for the collision.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Brakes are all upgraded have disks in the rear. Steering is almost completely replaced. Tires will be lt rated when I get new ones. Everything will be good truck wise. 2500 has a gvr of 13.5 frames are the same between the 15 and the 25.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brakes are all upgraded have disks in the rear. Steering is almost completely replaced. Tires will be lt rated when I get new ones. Everything will be good truck wise. 2500 has a gvr of 13.5 frames are the same between the 15 and the 25.
Frames are not the same between the 1500 and 2500, There are some key differences.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ECSB K2500 has a thicker frame compared to my friend's ECSB K1500.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How heavy is that skid steer? I pull close to 10k with MY 1500 pretty comfortably, but it is comprehensively modified and I do use a WD hitch. If all you have is a heavier leaf pack on an otherwise stock truck, you're coming up short for 10k and if you're even considering maxxing out that hitch I'd think again. The frames are different as has been pointed out. I can't speak to when the 1500 frame becomes a problem, but I can say at the weight I've pulled at for years I've not had any trouble. I'm also completely rust free.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Skid steers are heavy pigs in a small package. Thick metal everywhere, lots of hydraulic fluid, heavy pumps, motors, engine, fuel. There's a reason you usually see dump trucks pulling them

Reaction score
6-lug wheels? Nope
8 lugs.
How heavy is that skid steer? I pull close to 10k with MY 1500 pretty comfortably, but it is comprehensively modified and I do use a WD hitch. If all you have is a heavier leaf pack on an otherwise stock truck, you're coming up short for 10k and if you're even considering maxxing out that hitch I'd think again. The frames are different as has been pointed out. I can't speak to when the 1500 frame becomes a problem, but I can say at the weight I've pulled at for years I've not had any trouble. I'm also completely rust free.
Skid is 7500. Trailer is 2800. I have a b&w 16k bumper pull hitch. Factory 2500 rear spring pack. No rust holes but it's a northern truck so there is alot of surface rust. Nothing to crazy. Looking at the brochure if I swap my gears with the 5.7 gcwr goes to 15k as it sits right now I'm at 13.5k