Marine Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this swap is about to get more interesting. I thought a modified L31 distributor with a 4X reluctor was on the market and one was. However Mike Noonan and the EFI Connection gang has dropped the product and screwed me in that regard. I have no desire to buy a $290 modified weak ass wear prone double roller timing chain and a matching $450 timing cover to get the 4x crank signal since EFI connection has discontinued their 4X crank signal L31 cam sync distributor....THANKS for the screwing guys from your older magazine and project outlines of having it available and dropping it!!!

I think what really irked me the most was the condescending, arrogant response I got from their customer service help named Chris today, considering I have bought 2 of their 24x setup reluctors, brackets, etc in the past, but such is life. I have spent a ton of money with them since that company was founded on that stuff and to be talked down on was surprising. My buddy Kurt also has a 24x setup on his 95 from my word of mouth as well. To get treated poorly after 3 setups alone that I know of that I have had a hand in, YIKES!!!

That being said I have 2 different GM 4x trigger wheels on the way. I am going to either try to modify one to replace the 1x wheel in a L31 distributor or create a new one entirely. A $5 piece of cut-out steel is all that I am lacking to turn my L31 distributor into a 4x cam sensor. EFI Connection would rather sell me $800 of one off stuff that will probably end up discontinued in the future if a replacement was needed rather than a $5 piece of industructible steel that last forever. They claim lack of interest in the product because guys want the aluminum cover and double roller sets anyway and the 24x is their bread and butter anyway because the sarcasm said who would want a 6L90E anyway.

This reluctor should be here Sunday but it is inverted/upside down from the GenIV LS one. That is ok, nothing some good measurements, some graphing paper, a protractor and a compass cannot resolve to cutout a template that matches the diameter of the L31 distributor reluctor.

This one is off a 1.4L and I have another from a Duramax on the way. These things are like $4 ea. Nothing that will prevent this project from working but annoying none the less. I will replicate the degree dimensions of the trigger slots to the necessary diameter, since the L31 cam reluctor is likely a different diameter, fabricate a new trigger wheel, then pop rivit or screw it into the OE distributor cap bolt holes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a plus note I was able to finally get a 93-95 G30 454 van sized dual core radiator after it had been out of stock for an eternity. Swapped it in and the 383 is staying alot cooler. Idled it for an hour with the ac on getting all the air out of the system with my Lisle coolant fill funnel burping air and it never even made it to 200*F. Driving it around the fan clutch never even had to rise above the base coupling amount, fan noise and power draw has been noticeably reduced.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is nearly 80F here, drove around a bit, left it idling in the Whataburger drive through waiting on my breakfast. Then let it idle while I was eating said breakfast. It is stabilizing right at the thermostat temp now.

DJHUNT

Reaction score
Decided to post pone the Proflow intake and put the L31 Marine intake back on the van. This manifold was worth 20-30 hp between 5,200 and 6,000 rpm on the 350 when it cammed compared to a ported truck manifold. Will be interesting to see how the 383 responds to it. This is a place marker for more pictures I take detailing the swap. Much of the older swap information is gone. I want to also provide infomation on swapping the harness to the matching Deatschwerks connetor so that an inexpensive AEM harness connects right up to the OEM harness like it was built that way. Both my OEM spider connector and marine intake have the Deatschwerks connectors on them. While I have it apart, I will show anyone that wants to know how to install that connector. Basically one cuts the OEM injector wiring after the 1st splice so that there are 4 remaining injector power feed wires on each side of the OEM injector connection wiring and grafting a plug on to it. Makes the intakes easily swapped with no wiring changes. I am leaving it that way in the event that someday I may have to put the OE intake back on for whatever reason. I did some port cleanup on the marine manifold, cleaned it up and re-painted it. Its going on tomorrow.

I would like to know more about the wiring for the injector connectors, please.