MAP issues (P0108)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why isn't it in a plastic "bucket"? Is that rubber hose kinked? What's the piece between the pump motor and sock that's crooked?
Plastic trash can pump assembly didn't start until mid-1997 on the pickup models.

Looks like the rubber hose slipped off the hard line on the sender..

Crooked part is the lower metal portion of the sender that the pump and insulator sit in before you push the sock on. Bent usually because someone did it getting the pump wiggled into place, needs to get bent back straight.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Plastic trash can pump assembly didn't start until mid-1997 on the pickup models.

Oh, I knew they were different, and had quite a bit of metal in them, but I still thought they had a bucket to capture fuel. Do the earlier tanks have baffles in them? Mine is completely open inside, since the bucket is always full the pump won't starve until you're truly out of gas.

I couldn't tell exactly what's going on there, but it didn't look right.

Crooked part is the lower metal portion of the sender that the pump and insulator sit in before you push the sock on. Bent usually because someone did it getting the pump wiggled into place, needs to get bent back straight.

Ok, not having it in hand, I think what I'm seeing must be an optical illusion.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, I knew they were different, and had quite a bit of metal in them, but I still thought they had a bucket to capture fuel. Do the earlier tanks have baffles in them? Mine is completely open inside, since the bucket is always full the pump won't starve until you're truly out of gas.
They have a plastic tray in the bottom of the tank, secured by a couple push-nuts onto studs in the tank floor. Think of a rectangular tupperware container with no lid.

Richard

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yeah, the hose came off. The plastic clamps were still tight, but they're plastic clamps. Replaced them with metal.
The lower metal bracket where the pump sits is bent slightly. I don't recall exactly what the issue was, but I spent maybe half an hour putting the pump in, taking it back out, then back in, trying to get it straight when I did the pump a few weeks ago. As I recall, something on the new pump was slightly different than the old pump, making it difficult to get it exactly right, but I don't recall specifically what the issue was. Best I could do.

On the plus side, I'm getting pretty good at pulling the bed.

Attachments

• IMG_20220728_081251374[1].jpg
    IMG_20220728_081251374[1].jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 4

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats. Job well done.

Curious about the "metal clamps" you used to replace the crappy plastic ones. Hopefully you used "Fuel Injection" clamps rather than the horrible non-shielded worm-gear messes.

You must be registered for see images attach

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6 hours and a tow bill later and it seems the fuel pump has now blown a hole in the hose

Attachments

• IMG_20220728_194116475.jpg
    IMG_20220728_194116475.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 12

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's the hose that came with the new pump, installed maybe 3 weeks ago. It's all soft and spongy. I've got some fuel line I can replace it with, but is there a special hose for submersion?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It's the hose that came with the new pump, installed maybe 3 weeks ago. It's all soft and spongy. I've got some fuel line I can replace it with, but is there a special hose for submersion?

Yes, it needs to be rated for submersion. It's more expensive than regular fuel injection hose. Maybe one of the other guys can't point you to it. I've never had to buy it and I'm at work right now.