Manual Trans LS Swap Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He's had drag radials on it and 1/4d it a few times so it can handle hard launches

...There's always that "one guy"...
I'm not going to deny that there are a few that somehow live. There was a guy, I believe on performancetrucks, that had one behind an 8.1 that managed to live. Those stories are rare. The majority didn't get sprinkled with holy water.

Boston88

Reaction score
Glad I have one of the ones that did get "sprinkled". LQ9 w/ headers and a tune with NO issues, and I'm not a gentle driver

Later NV3500s will work fine, My truck had one out of a 94 2500 when I strarted working on it, I don't know where the 88 tranny went

KI4UJO

Reaction score
I'd consider an NV3500 based off everyone's responses. I'm not going to be taking this down a dragstrip. From what I have it ready, it is a much smoother shifting transmission,correct? Externally, they look like a getrag box to me (a lot of the BMW stuff I deal with uses them). Anything specific I need to look for in finding one other than a 4WD box?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd consider an NV3500 based off everyone's responses. I'm not going to be taking this down a dragstrip. From what I have it ready, it is a much smoother shifting transmission,correct? Externally, they look like a getrag box to me (a lot of the BMW stuff I deal with uses them). Anything specific I need to look for in finding one other than a 4WD box?
It definitely shifts smoother than a 4500. I have a 3500 in my S10 and one in a 94 K1500. My only complaint is that they are a bit noisy. Not bad but just enough to be noticed. Both have Hurst / Core shifters and in my opinion the stock shifter was garbage on both.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seeing as you are going with a 5.3 I'd try finding one off a 4.8(1999+) but if you can only find older trans. you'll need to use adapted flywheel which as mentioned earlier, a Sachs 1050 will do the trick as it went on 6.0l with nv4500 from the factory

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I'm not going to deny that there are a few that somehow live. Those stories are rare. The majority didn't get sprinkled with holy water.
I have not had the holy water luck either, because I killed two with a mild built 355, after grenading the original with 280k (so 3 total) before I swapped in the dump truck nv4500.

I have an nv3500 again, this time with a tired 4.3, and considering the 5.3 route.

thatclappedsilverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious how you guys absolutely destroy the 3500s mine has 180k and a lot of clutch dumps and banging gears behind a 305, 2 350s and a built aluminum head 355. It’s always had Atleast 33s on it and I’ve never had an issue with it no noise nothing.