Manual Heater Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a 1990 2500 dually....old lowered custom.

You must be registered for see images attach
Weird setups man :) so weird

Even the 1988's around here have the digital display controls that most of us are familiar with, just with a black face instead of gray.

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that looks aftermarket. You can even see the factory pulls for the fresh air vents, which only the non-A/C trucks got. Lots of stuff going on with that truck which isn't original.
Good catch on the vent knobs. I've seen them (very rarely) but completely forgot about them to the point they didn't even register in my line of sight when I saw the pic.

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A truck in 1989 with digital HVAC controls and electronic servos, no vacuum. Really cool.
I'm confused. Or am I? Starting with the first year of GMT400's, 1988, "digital" A/C controls were standard on regular A/C-equipped trucks. This conversation has had a few weird turns with aftermarket setups but this is what I'm talking about; pic is from an '88 C2500 "LD" parts truck I had while rebuilding my stripped '92. Same controls you'd find in a '91-'94 except black instead of gray, and no "max" setting (I forget when that came into play) and of course in '94 we got a 4th fan speed.

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you think the picture I posted was aftermarket as I had surmised? I may actually go look at that truck, just for fun.
Yeah, looks for sure like an aftermarket A/C kit. Not having seen enough of the slider heat controls in these trucks as for us down here in TX they are rare as hen's teeth, I couldn't say if the slider panel is factory or aftermarket as well. The "max" function on it is puzzling, wouldn't expect to see that on a heat-only panel, so I'll have to throw a wild guess out that the whole setup is aftermarket - not just the separate A/C button underneath the panel, but the slider panel as well. Could also be "dealer" installed A/C.

Edit - if you do go take a peek at it, please get a pic of the SPID label if it's still legible at all, and any possible pics of the A/C components such as compressor, bracketry, lines, etc. for comparison to the usual factory pieces.

Richard

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, looks for sure like an aftermarket A/C kit. Not having seen enough of the slider heat controls in these trucks as for us down here in TX they are rare as hen's teeth, I couldn't say if the slider panel is factory or aftermarket as well. The "max" function on it is puzzling, wouldn't expect to see that on a heat-only panel, so I'll have to throw a wild guess out that the whole setup is aftermarket - not just the separate A/C button underneath the panel, but the slider panel as well. Could also be "dealer" installed A/C.

Edit - if you do go take a peek at it, please get a pic of the SPID label if it's still legible at all, and any possible pics of the A/C components such as compressor, bracketry, lines, etc. for comparison to the usual factory pieces.

Richard

I'm certainly convinced it is. Or yeah, like you said it's a dealer install. SPID would reveal the truth.

I'm confused. Or am I? Starting with the first year of GMT400's, 1988, "digital" A/C controls were standard on regular A/C-equipped trucks. This conversation has had a few weird turns with aftermarket setups but this is what I'm talking about; pic is from an '88 C2500 "LD" parts truck I had while rebuilding my stripped '92. Same controls you'd find in a '91-'94 except black instead of gray, and no "max" setting (I forget when that came into play) and of course in '94 we got a 4th fan speed.

Richard

Oh, I was talking about my truck, the '89 Short Box in my sig. Did not know that 94's got a 4th fan speed. Wish I had a '92 as I'm too lazy/incompetent to figure out how to reliably swap a '92 head unit into my truck to gain the recirc button. I think "max" came about in '91.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I would think the Max button came out when they started using a high pressure switch that controlled the compressor instead of the fresh air inlet.