Manual Cargo Light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demon Mudder

Reaction score
Anyone ever try to rewire the cargo light to work only by the switch on the dash, rather than switch on the dash only after a door is open? Diagrams or even suggestions if any of y'all have, would be appreciated; I'll see if I can follow the wiring and decide how I want to go around it myself as well tomorrow, but I always like a second opinion!

Demon Mudder

Reaction score
Not sure how but my 98 K2500 does, I've turned it on to check stuff in the bed while driving. Noone behind me of course.
Dang, wonder if that was a weird '95 only thing, know theres a couple things like that...man I really am not a fan of transition years. But yeah, would be nice to check on stuff in the bed now and then, plus since I replaced the whole third brake light assembly, this new one is bright as crap, and could come in handy as an aux reverse light since I do a good bit of night driving, especially in the woods whenever I can. Though I do have two little 6" bars I plan to add under the rear bumper for that purpose, but still, ya get the idea lol

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '97 comes on and off (delayed) with my dome light when the Cargo light switch is on. Pretty sure it will also stay on with the dome light, too, instead of the door switch.

Demon Mudder

Reaction score
OKAY, been a few trying to figure out email situations, tried swapping my email and then wasn't recieving the confirmations to reply back, finally got one to work though.

So anyway, @slovcan I'll have to try that too, may work like that, not needing the door then.

@packer0440 appreciate, figured thats all I'd end up needing to do, but I finished wiring up my auxiliary reverse lights under the bumper, should've taken the time to do that too, but I had enough fun trying to determine wires since they all looked black yet I needed to find the green wire on the factory harnesses! lol

@AuroraGirl guess I got to try that as well, some weirdly wired stuff I'm seein' on this thing, would explain a few things though.

Attachments

• IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 10
  • PicsArt_07-29-04.51.45.jpg
    PicsArt_07-29-04.51.45.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 10
  • PicsArt_07-29-04.51.14.jpg
    PicsArt_07-29-04.51.14.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 10

Demon Mudder

Reaction score
Okay, so dome lights are all it takes to turn on the cargo light after all, I do still plan to give it a ground of it's own so the dome lights don't have to be on, but less rush, got a front lightbar to finish hooking up and then maybe I'll get back to it.

Also, parking lamps didn't help my hood lights, though I did nab a junkyard bulb in good shape, threw it in the side light with the cable to move it around, that works fine now, it's a bit of a loose connection but it works, which is odd since the other bulb appears to be fine as well. But hey, a hood light is a hood light, at least I have one now! lol