Manual 4x4 to pushbutton 4x4 swap.

Discussion in 'Transfer Cases' started by CRF450R, Aug 19, 2019.

1. GT80

GT80 Newbie

That's pretty much the only component I haven't replaced or tested in the whole system. Worth a shot for $30 I guess.

98chevy2500SS likes this.
  2. Hobie

Hobie Newbie

Sounds like you dont understand how the OBS 4x4 system works... yes the shifter on the floor allows you to shift the Tcase without issues, but you also have to remember the front axle still has all of those stupid electronics that fail far more often than the pushbutton electronics.
    But what the hell do I know???

3. Hipster

Hipster I'm Awesome

Electronics? yeah it's a solenoid/actuator , and they crap out too so what's your point?

98chevy2500SS likes this.
  4. Hobie

Hobie Newbie

My point is, that push button 4x4 isnt the problem. The problem is still the actuators.

5. Hobie

Hobie Newbie

My point is, that push button 4x4 isnt the problem. The problem is still the actuators.

6. Hipster

Hipster I'm Awesome

Exactly, so lets put an extra one on the T-case and have more problems. It is you that doesn't understand that pushbutton 4x4 runs off an additional actuator.

DerekTheGreat likes this.
  7. Hobie

Hobie Newbie

Again, 90% of the time, the tcase actuator never fails, but the front axle actuator is the problem child. I dont think the justification of 'because it's an extra actuator' justifies the cost of swapping to a manual tcase. Not only will you end up cutting up your floor, hole in the dash, and a new set of useless wires, all for a possible problem that hardly shows itself, while the real issue shows itself every time 4x4 is used. The Thermo actuators on these trucks are horrendous, and I've even had issues with the updated electric actuator, the only thing I can think of is the permanent locked in diff bolt sold by LMC, but they have been sold out for as long as I can think.