Making new sun visors with mirror and light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know what years the lighted visors had 2 wire plug and what years had the 1 wire plug? I have found them both ways!
Like you, I haven't found a truck/SUV that had a good pair. One side is always broken. My Burb has a gray interior, but the visors in it are actually tan(they're out of my first '99 Burb that had tan interior; pewter truck could be either way). The crew cab has tan interior, and all 4 visors are showing their age. I have a couple from the last yard trip, I may be playing with them tomorrow since it's supposed to be warmer.....
This has puzzled me for a while, ive only really looked through the 98 manual. From my browsing i think that suburbans and crew cabs came with different lighted visors the the tahoes and other trucks. The door flap is wider and the push button is on the opposite side, as far as what years have the different ones im not sure, im going to due more research tomorrow when i have access to a computer.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Sounds good! I don't remember what years the yard finds were out of other than probably 95-99. And the lighted ones with extension pieces are in Suburbans, Yukons and Tahoes, and Silverado trucks (my truck Rawhide is a Silverado). But that's been the issue, is having the proper connector to match the truck harness....
And since the visor lights don't have an off switch, they will pull a fully charged battery dead over 3 or 4 days(been there done that with both trucks!).

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no luck finding anything in the service manuals. the 1995 manual is missing the page that has the mirrors. 8A-149-2, it goes from 147 to 150. 1998 manual only 2 wire. can you show me a picture of this single wire connector, i havent seen one, but i havent taken apart anything i wasnt looking for. curious how it works with only 1 wire, i guess it could use the metal sunvisor bracket as the ground. the long visors i nave noticed are much more uncommon amoung my junkyard trips

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
no luck finding anything in the service manuals. the 1995 manual is missing the page that has the mirrors. 8A-149-2, it goes from 147 to 150. 1998 manual only 2 wire. can you show me a picture of this single wire connector, i havent seen one, but i havent taken apart anything i wasnt looking for. curious how it works with only 1 wire, i guess it could use the metal sunvisor bracket as the ground. the long visors i nave noticed are much more uncommon amoung my junkyard trips
That's what I was thinking on the one wire.. I'll get a pic of it..... here's one of each end. I just noticed that the pull out extension is different on these. One wire visor must be the early style....

Attachments

• IMG_20230209_113941832_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230209_113941832_HDR.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230209_114009819_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230209_114009819_HDR.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230209_114226442_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230209_114226442_HDR.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 12

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new one(right side), has an all plastic sub structure, metal bar only about 6-7 inches. The old(left side) has a metal bar that runs the length, With a solid particle board like thing. This is all underneath the chipboard taco

TimerTheFox

Reaction score
recently I re-did my sun visors. new chipboad, new led lights, new foam backed headliner, working door flap, painted.

I was quite unsatisfied with the fact there were zero reproduction parts for these so i had to go salvage yard hunting for good condition mirrors and non broken door flaps. I was quite satisfied with the results though and wanted to gauge any interest for how much you would pay to have this done for yourself, i think i might want to start doing this as a small side project for myself. browsing ebay, i see single working visors sold for 120ish in really beat condition.

i think i would offer 2 options,
1. you send me your ****** sunvisors WITH NON broken mirror doors, and i redo them like new in the OEM color, suede would most likely be material, with LED lights
2. i source all the materials and you tell me what material you want it wrapped in. color of plastic parts would be dependent on what can be found or could be painted like i did to mine

pictures attached of my finished sun visors and construction

I posted this below but i want it in the main post
“I am thinking $155 for the refurbishment of your visor pair
$400 for the i have nothing, and need everything. Only caveat with this option is i cant offer it until i start finding parts, and they would have to be listed for sale most likely not made to order.
Lastly id be open to buying non broken working parts if anyone has extra, mainly the door flap, its the rarest piece

Let me know what you think”
This is Probably an old thread, But if you don't Mind me asking, How exactly did you close the sunvisors together? I've Seen people Stitch around it to keep it together but it seems like you didn't do that. At least from what i can tell

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is Probably an old thread, But if you don't Mind me asking, How exactly did you close the sunvisors together? I've Seen people Stitch around it to keep it together but it seems like you didn't do that. At least from what i can tell
i used an adhesive, and taped it shut for a few days with green paint tape until it cured. id have to find the tube, i cant remember of the top of m head what i used.