Making new sun visors with mirror and light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
recently I re-did my sun visors. new chipboad, new led lights, new foam backed headliner, working door flap, painted.

I was quite unsatisfied with the fact there were zero reproduction parts for these so i had to go salvage yard hunting for good condition mirrors and non broken door flaps. I was quite satisfied with the results though and wanted to gauge any interest for how much you would pay to have this done for yourself, i think i might want to start doing this as a small side project for myself. browsing ebay, i see single working visors sold for 120ish in really beat condition.

i think i would offer 2 options,
1. you send me your ****** sunvisors WITH NON broken mirror doors, and i redo them like new in the OEM color, suede would most likely be material, with LED lights
2. i source all the materials and you tell me what material you want it wrapped in. color of plastic parts would be dependent on what can be found or could be painted like i did to mine

pictures attached of my finished sun visors and construction

I posted this below but i want it in the main post
“I am thinking $155 for the refurbishment of your visor pair
$400 for the i have nothing, and need everything. Only caveat with this option is i cant offer it until i start finding parts, and they would have to be listed for sale most likely not made to order.
Lastly id be open to buying non broken working parts if anyone has extra, mainly the door flap, its the rarest piece

Let me know what you think”

Attachments

• SV1.jpg
    SV1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 103
  • SV2.jpg
    SV2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 102
  • sv3.jpg
    sv3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 101
  • sv4.jpg
    sv4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 101
  • sv5.jpg
    sv5.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice work!

If you're still doing this after Christmas I may have you do a set for my Suburban. The fabric is sagging and my passenger side mirror door broke off, but I have a NOS replacement.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work!

If you're still doing this after Christmas I may have you do a set for my Suburban. The fabric is sagging and my passenger side mirror door broke off, but I have a NOS replacement.
When i was sourcing my materials only did i notice that there are 2 models of sunvisors with lights and mirrors, not sure why or what the year differences are but far fewer of the suburban style one
At the moment i had only planned on doing the style with lights and mirrors as those have no real replacement options.
The the mirror doors are so fragile, and if you try to remove them, very high chance of breaking.
I still need to figure a cost breakdown and time requirement to make these

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those look really good. Did you stitch that pattern or buy it pre-stitched?

And what is the thing on the side. My 97 doesn’t have that.
You must be registered for see images attach

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those look really good. Did you stitch that pattern or buy it pre-stitched?

And what is the thing on the side. My 97 doesn’t have that.
You must be registered for see images attach
Its a slide out extension. I think depending on the trim convenience package determined what kind of visor you got
The fabric material came like that.

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could also do this with the original foam-backed headliner material too. It's pretty easily available and easy to work with. At any rate, cool idea. Visors always seem to get beat up based on either their position or always being touched/having things clipped to them.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could also do this with the original foam-backed headliner material too. It's pretty easily available and easy to work with. At any rate, cool idea. Visors always seem to get beat up based on either their position or always being touched/having things clipped to them.
Its an option, i just figure it may last longer not being oem, but id offer the regular cloth material if someone wanted it

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a slide out extension. I think depending on the trim convenience package determined what kind of visor you got
The fabric material came like that.
Looks like they clip to the headliner too? Why didn’t I know this was an option

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after thinking out this

I am thinking $155 for the refurbishment of your visor pair
$400 for the i have nothing, and need everything. Only caveat with this option is i cant offer it until i start finding parts, and they would have to be listed for sale most likely not made to order.
Lastly id be open to buying non broken working parts if anyone has extra, mainly the door flap, its the rarest piece

Let me know what you think
it apart of the plastic skeleton structure, doesnt come apart

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Pretty sure most of the Suburbans have this style, my '97 does.

it apart of the plastic skeleton structure, doesnt come apart

I think Orpedcrow was referring to the little bar that clips into the receptacle on the headliner to hold the visors in place, slightly outside of the red circle in the picture. The basic truck visors (without the lighted mirrors) don't have those, they just kind of sit in place.