LT1 camshaft swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FiremanGegg

Reaction score
SO I searched and did not find the answer I was looking for, however I have been told that swapping in an LT1 camshaft is pretty much a direct swap with no upgrades to valvetrain or even having to get a tune on a 2000 Vortec 350. I realize I am not going to get metric crap tons of power, but a few extra horses is a welcome addition. I have an issue currently where the exhaust manifold bolts are seized and cant get them off, and to have them removed at a shop, I can get another set of used heads and have them sent off to a machine shop and install them myself for less than the shop messing my current crap. Then bolt on my whole new exhaust, but figured while i was partially torn down, I could slide a new camshaft, lifters and push rods if needed as well as a new timing setup and be good for a while. engine currently has 150k miles, and runs decent, minus the tons of exhaust leaks. The new exhaust is sitting here waiting for install. It is a JBA short headers, Bosal catted y-pipe and a JBA Evol catback exhaust. so the question I have is, do the valve springs or anything have to be swapped out for the cam which specs out as follows

Advertised Exhaust Duration 276 degrees
Advertised Intake Duration 270 degrees
Cam Type Hydraulic
Computer Controlled Compatible Yes
Exhaust Duration at .050 inch Lift 208 Degrees
Exhaust Valve Lift .459 in.
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift 201 Degrees
Intake Valve Lift .447 in.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you do the cam and get it tuned it will be night and day. Cam only it'll probably run OK, but even bone stock the tune leaves an asston on the table. You'd be lowering your cylinder pressures and that thing would just be begging for more timing.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
If the springs are good you'll be fine. A tune always helps but it should run with no problems You can pop on new springs and cut the valve guides at home for about $200 if you want. SUM-174000 is a spring kit with springs, retainers, locks, shims, and seals for $83.99. If you get CCA-4726 $52.99 and CCA-4732 $35.99 From Summit Racing you can do a .550 lift cam (like CCA-08-464-8) or anything under it for $172.97 +tax. It's easy to do with the heads off. Have the machine shop do a 30 degree back cut on the valves both intake and exhaust. It is very cheap to do and can add as much as 25 ft./lbs. of torque. The machine shop can cut the guides too if you want. Cutting them at home is easy and you will own the tool to do other heads as well. I have done several sets for friends and the last one I had 10 minutes total cutting all 16 guides.:cool:

FiremanGegg

Reaction score
Thats some good info. I have also read that the HT383/Ramjet 350 cam may be a more viable alternative with better results. I appreciate the input. Im currently on the lookput for a set of decent used heads now that I can send to the machine shop to get tge ball rolling. I just may have them do the 30* backcut on the valves. What lifters would you suggest

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Stock lifters are fine. The ZZ4 cam isn't bad either NAL-10185071 208/221 @ .050 .474/.510 112 lobe sep. Put it in at a 107 intake centerline and it will pull well. It should have a torque peak at around 2600 rpm. It's $338.01 @ Summit

The CCA-08-409-8 @ $300.99 will work without cutting the guides but the higher lift will make more torque albeit at a slightly higher rpm. The ultimate would be the CCA-08-464-8 ($278.99) but it needs stronger pushrods and roller rockers and you MUST cut the heads and use the spring kit. it is designed for 1.6:1 rockers. It is 202/212 @ .050 with .550/.546 lift (with 1.6 rockers) w/113 LS and needs stronger pushrods. It has a glass smooth idle and is done by 5000 rpm.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to mention my 1500 runs .460/.480 lift on stock springs. All I did for clearance was install new valve seals punched all the way down and measured. You can also do the ghetto grind on the retainers.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do the valve springs or anything have to be swapped out for the cam
I really like putting new springs in. If a spring breaks, your motor gets trashed. Upgrading to beehive valvesprings gets you a couple hundred more rpm range, a slightly stronger spring, and allows up to .530" lift, but it costs a couple hundred if I remember right. A set of factory-style Melling springs is $20. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8317920&cc=1031140&jsn=529

Even with a bigger cam you can get your truck up and running on the factory fuel system, but you'll want a tune.

FiremanGegg

Reaction score
Well, all i keep finding js junk vortec heads near me, so once i pick a used set of heads for $200 (average around me), and then take to the machime shop and have them redo the heads and then add new valve springs and guides i can buy a new set of heads. So with that being said, with a stock engine with the Ramjet350 cam, what size heads should i look at? I have been eyeing up the Promaxx 2151 cast iron heads that are 64cc/185cc, or are these a bad set of heads?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pmx-2151/make/chevrolet