ls2 in 96 4x4 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ovaddiesr

Reaction score
hello all, I'm new to this site and have been using the search function to gain as much knowledge before i tackle my build. So far I've replaced all the brake lines and fuel lines from inline tube (prebent oem style) and wire wheeled/POR 15 the entire frame. It's a 96 2 door tahoe that has been with my brother for the last 8 years. he sold it to me so now i get to really make it mine. I purchased a 07 trailblazer ss engine and trans with harness. from what Ive read is that the 96 4l60e (1 pc casting) will require a spacer to work correctly. also I see a ton of recommendations for the 411pcm swap to help with the conversion. here is where i see a problem, the vss on the 96 4x4 is in the transfer case vs the 07 trans has the vss on the tail shaft. would it be easier to just put the 07 trans in and mate it to the transfer case or could the original 4l60e be used. I personally rather keep the original because it has been rebuilt with quality internals around 20k miles ago vs the unknown condition of the 07 trans. thank you for any info
correction, I think the 07 trans i have is a 4l70e

Last edited:

4x4ornadda

Reaction score
I Believe the 07 will be a 4l80e, I have been doing some research also on doing a Ls swap into my 98 K1500. As far as mating goes your 4l60e will be ideal anyway for fitment purposes, but you said quality parts? Word on the street is that they will not last with the higher power and torque from the Ls engine. I have read that in the 96 and up trucks the wiring is pretty simple to convert, and the 0411 ECM is a good idea all around for more tune options. Furthermore as I understand it to put the 4L80E in it will require pretty extensive drive train mods i.e... shortened drive shaft and I think its a different spline to??

ovaddiesr

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm pretty sure it's a 4l70e. I've looked at dozens of pictures and all 4l80e's have a huge 1pc cast bellhousing and the 07 trans I have is a 2 PC. I looked up the 8skd code on the top of the transmission and it comes up as a 2008 2wd 4l70e. I will check to see if I can swap out the tailshaft from my 60e to the 70e and make it a direct swap

4x4ornadda

Reaction score
Gotcha, all the reading I have done only heard about 80e and 60e. But I am far from an expert. Granted most of my research revolves around the truck Ls i.e... 1/2 & 3/4 ton pickup motors. Now I must read about the trailblazer! Thanks for that..... ;)

4x4ornadda

Reaction score
Well looks as if the 60 and 70e are accentually the same, other than the sensor you mentioned and the spline is also different also. But they did come with the 60e also, and that is a plus for you. other than if you wanted I don't see why you couldn't swap parts on the trans as well? the 70e is supposedly an upgraded internal version. So I would go with the 60 first and if it pops swap whatever needed over to the 70 and roll yet again.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep the 4L70E in the Trailblazer SS has a better input shaft and such. But its still a 4L60E.
The 4L60E, 4L65E, and the 4L70E are all the same per say. The 4L80E/4L85E is a whole different unit

If you wanted to use the 4L70E then you will have to put a 4x4 output shaft in it. Then you wont have the VSS on the trans anymore, it will use the one on the Xcase.

ovaddiesr

Reaction score
Well it's been a while but I got little red running great. I ditched the ls2 I had and decided to get an lq9. It's bored only. 010 over to freshen the block but I went with aftermarket forged rods and pistons. The transmission is the stock 4l60e but I put in the corvette actuator to firm up the shifting. It's currently running and driving great and I couldn't be happier

You must be registered for see images attach

ovaddiesr

Reaction score
to help anyone in the future...i used the 08 gen 4 harness with a tbss intake and accessories. I eliminated the valley knock sensors and used the gen 4 ones on the side of the block. The dbw was so simple because in the 07+ they don't use a tac module anymore. Just 6 easy wires into the pedal and I used the hole the dbc went through previously. The lq9 is currently running on a tbss operating system with slight changes from the tuner. It mates directly to the 96+ 4l60e as long as you use a 10 dollar extension for the tc. I'm using a striped down 96 computer to run the abs, gauges, 4wd and my car alarm/cold start. The ls computer only runs the engine and trans. Very easy swap.

GordonCustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where'd you order the collar from. Also the 411 can run all those other functions that you kept the black box for. The 411 i installed runs everything without a problem, i just haven't installed a LS yet. still have 350 for now.

ovaddiesr

Reaction score
Where'd you order the collar from. Also the 411 can run all those other functions that you kept the black box for. The 411 i installed runs everything without a problem, i just haven't installed a LS yet. still have 350 for now.
What do you mean by collar? I'm aware of the 411 pcm but I received the gen complete harness with the purchase and went with it instead.