ls1 5.7 vs 5.3 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can OP do a truck intake on the LS1? I've never heard of anyone doing that... again everyone seems to be looking at doing the opposite?

Tons of room in the engine bay and he can have the low end torque of the truck setup. Just a question.
K1500? Weight doesn't matter. Go with the iron block 5.7 and build for torque. Save that aluminum 5.3 for a Monza or some other lightweight chassis that wants rpm.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can OP do a truck intake on the LS1? I've never heard of anyone doing that... again everyone seems to be looking at doing the opposite?

Tons of room in the engine bay and he can have the low end torque of the truck setup. Just a question.

He absolutely can. GenIV truck intake, AKA TrailBlazer SS intake, is the best factory cathedral port intake. It gives up nothing anywhere to the car intake.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're both aluminum. . .
Doh! Reading comprehension fail. I missed the "LS1" in "5.7 LS1".

Since it sounds like you don't already have either motor, I'd go with the 5.7. I'm not impressed with the 5.3's ability to truck compared to the older 350s. At least with the 5.7 you'll have more displacement to work with.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
LS1 for sure. The L59 or L33 5.3L is a good engine but like was stated the LS1 is worth more. You can easily find the truck acc mounts and swap the crank pulley for a truck pulley, intake for TBSS, and put in a decent cam with long tubes and a tune and have 400hp easy.

RBL3

Reaction score
This is a no brainer; LS1 for sure!!! But definitely need to find out what it came out of or at least the year. If it’s '01-'02 out of an fbody then it’ll be slightly different from ’00 and earlier; 01-02s come with an LS6 intake, which are still high in demand for $3-400. Either way u can do a tall 102 FAST (for trucks), this alone is worth close to 50hp at the wheels. LS1 tech is a great source to look through.

RBL3

Reaction score
okay so the ls1. how stout could is it. I'm thinking 400hp to crank. its gonna be a daily driver that I take offroading occasionally. what are the weak links of it
Stock LS1 is practically already at 400 to the crank. U can very easily get 450rwhp to 480rwhp (570hp at the crank); and still have a street friendly motor with mpgs in the mid to lower 20s. Pat G had a TA that pushed a little over 500rwhp and got 29mpg on the highway.

RBL3

Reaction score
I'm swapping a new motor into my 98 k1500 as the stock 5.7 Vortec started knocking right after I was done putting a new tranny in and I'm at a crossroads. I have access to two motors. One is an aluminum block 5.3 and the other is a 5.7 ls1. I don't know which one to get so I could really use some help as well as what are
I'm swapping a new motor into my 98 k1500 as the stock 5.7 Vortec started knocking right after I was done putting a new tranny in and I'm at a crossroads. I have access to two motors. One is an aluminum block 5.3 and the other is a 5.7 ls1. I don't know which one to get so I could really use some help as well as what are the pros and cons of each motor for the swap
Also a good budget friendly upgrade for LS1s are 243 heads off of the 5.3s. Good for 20hp as is bolted on OR u can get them CNCd port & polished for even more ponies. 243s are very popular in the Corvette/CamaroTransAm community as is the LS6 intake. Or if u have the money go with a set of AFRs, Trickfkows or Frankenstein heads.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do i need to get a crankshaft spacer for the ls1 i just put a new transmission and I would like to keep it
Flat flexplate and a spacer to bolt to an older automatic or a 4L80E. 3 of the 6 bolt holes should line up. May require a little elongating with a dremel. Early model TBI 4L60Es cannot be run by the LS computer.