ls1 5.7 vs 5.3 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm swapping a new motor into my 98 k1500 as the stock 5.7 Vortec started knocking right after I was done putting a new tranny in and I'm at a crossroads. I have access to two motors. One is an aluminum block 5.3 and the other is a 5.7 ls1. I don't know which one to get so I could really use some help as well as what are the pros and cons of each motor for the swap

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What are they asking for the 5.7? It will have higher compression, different intake, different cam, and be set up for the wrong accessory drive. It'll blow the doors off of the 5.3 though. If it's a late LS1 it'll have the LQ4/LQ9 cam in it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, the LS1 is also aluminum block. The car engines were more compact to fit the engine bay, as @Supercharged111 mentioned.

I'd take the larger of the 2. Honestly,most guys take the truck engines and stuff them in cars. Mostly because they made millions of trucks (trucks, SUVs, vans, etc.) and are fairly affordable. They just have to change intakes/accessories.

You are going the other way around, lol.

Simply put: the car engine is worth more than the truck engine, so take your pick...

Reaction score
okay so the ls1. how stout could is it. I'm thinking 400hp to crank. its gonna be a daily driver that I take offroading occasionally. what are the weak links of it

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What car did the LS1 come out of? I don't know much on the cars, but I seem to remember the Corvette engines were rated higher. Camaro/Firebirds were rated lower (maybe conservatively?) Also, what year was it from?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're pretty much all the same. Mid-600 wheel in a Vette is where stuff gets iffy. Long tubes and a tune will get you close to 400 crank on a stock cam. Of course, the cam doesn't need to stay stock. . .

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K1500? Weight doesn't matter. Go with the iron block 5.7 and build for torque. Save that aluminum 5.3 for a Monza or some other lightweight chassis that wants rpm.