LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I replaced my transmission and started it up and it started knocking so I was going to rebuild my 350 4 bolt with 906 heads and after adding the numbers with the stoker kit valve train and everything it was 2600 before machining so I decided to just do a 5.3 ls swap.
I don't know anything and I hate wiring so could yall like give me a list of everything that I need to get it running and driving. My budget is $2000 all in with little wiggle room and the truck is going to be my daily and I'm going to take it offroading and tow a little.

RBL3

Reaction score
U might just want to hold off on the swap if ur budget is 2k ; save up a little more so that ur not left dead in the water. EFIs, intakes & Stand Alone harnesses; none of these are cheap

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced my transmission and started it up and it started knocking so I was going to rebuild my 350 4 bolt with 906 heads and after adding the numbers with the stoker kit valve train and everything it was 2600 before machining so I decided to just do a 5.3 ls swap.
I don't know anything and I hate wiring so could yall like give me a list of everything that I need to get it running and driving. My budget is $2000 all in with little wiggle room and the truck is going to be my daily and I'm going to take it offroading and tow a little.
5.3L will be a dog for what you are intending to do. They make alot less power than a 350 until they get into the 4,500+ rpm range. Don't forget you will need some kind of high mount a/c bracket if you want to keep your a/c, conversion motor mounts and parts to mate the 5.3L up to the earlier 4L60E. You will have exhaust, fuel and coolant plumbing to address. 383 is sounding cheaper all the time to me plus the 383 will actually have torque down where a heavy 4x4 can use it. You could also rebuild the 350 and put a mild cam in it.

Going through the numbers, this is the cheapest way to build a 383.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also are you sure the old 350 is even knocking? If you just installed a transmission, you might have left torque converter bolts loose, cracked the flexplate or even have a starter with a bad bendix that is hitting the flexplate.

m1970

Reaction score
I have a 94 and did an LS3 swap. it works great, except I cant get my oil pressure gauge to work. When I crank the truck it pegs out. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$2000 is a decent budget. Not sure where you are but you can pick up a whole engine with ecu and harness at a wreckers for a couple hundred bucks. As long as you don't get wrapped up in the "you need this" and "while you're in there might as well that" mentality thats out there on the interwebs. You only really need motor mounts, possibly a flex plate depending on your trans and what engine you get. A fuel pump from a 96-up vortec truck(if your truck is pre vortec), and some fittings for the lines at the engine. The harness isn't terrible to modify but you can buy pre made ones from ebay or amazon for a couple hundred bucks and guys have had good luck with them.

I bought a smashed 05 truck and used everything out of it. The more complete the better then you aren't going to get nickel and dimed on the little things. I did nothing to the engine other than clean it up, splash some paint here and there and installed it. It didn't have any leaks and ran to the scene of the crash so why mess with it?