LS ADVICE NEEDED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For building horsepower the LS platform is tough to beat. Stock LS heads flow better than aftermarket SBC options and the bottom ends take more abuse than any stock SBC will. A properly built 5.3 with the right cam, stall converter and gearing will outperform your 350. To answer your question I would not buy a knocking LS engine considering I can buy a good running engine at my local LKQ for less than $300. I’ve swapped a few LS engines and have not been sorry (LS3, LY6 and a 5.3) It really depends on your goals and how deep your pockets are. AC on an LS engine is not a problem in your truck. You can buy relocation brackets which put the compressor in the OBS location. Getting rid of the TBI 350 in my truck has been one of the best mods yet.

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a cam and tuning the 5.3 can really be woken up, but so can anything really.

Kinda debatable as to if they are worth rebuilding vs just get a running engine out of the JY, even for free.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have ZERO love for a naturally aspirated LS in a heavy truck especially the 5.3 and even less for the 4.8. OP is concerned about losing to a Cruze that came with a turbo 4. I have had 3 different newer 2012+ 5.3 trucks, including a brand new direct injected try to cut me off this week in my 2014 Sentra I commute 30 minutes each way to work in. I ended up showing tailights to all 3 by the time I was grabbing for 4th gear. None of them could pull an inch on that Sentra, lol. The 135hp 1.8L hamster wheel wraps up and moves pretty good with the 6spd manual in the lightweight base model car. I can boil the tires in 1st and get 2nd and 3rd gear tire chirps pretty easily with the 6spd. Really confuses people especially other Sentras that try to keep up that have the POS CVTs.
More anecdotes to throw on the pile of pro-Vortec anecdotes:

My 98 5.7L gaps my buddies 2010 f150 til we get to like 60, both have posi, both have big mud tires, neither is re-geared
My 98 5.7L gaps my 2007 Honda Fit in just about every situation other than 0-25

I swear these trucks have decent "get-up-n-go" (for a 22-32 year old pickup truck) and I'm still running the 3.42s in mine lol.

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
More anecdotes to throw on the pile of pro-Vortec anecdotes:

My 98 5.7L gaps my buddies 2010 f150 til we get to like 60, both have posi, both have big mud tires, neither is re-geared
My 98 5.7L gaps my 2007 Honda Fit in just about every situation other than 0-25

I swear these trucks have decent "get-up-n-go" (for a 22-32 year old pickup truck) and I'm still running the 3.42s in mine lol.

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my brother in law just said I could just have that 5.3 if I want it. Head is still spinning a little but think I’m leaning heavily towards Vortec way at the moment. Not like I have money falling out my a— but I see a brand new crate 383 is as low as $3300. Guessing rebuilding something especially a nocker could easily cost half that right so…. Talking with an exhaust shop next week so I can at least start working on stuff that will be needed regardless minus headers. I have time to decide platform yet.
Speaking of muddying the waters in my opinion nothing would look better than a TPI unit under that hood! Better stop before moderators have to move it again.
Thanks for all the input everyone, makes this forum great !

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my brother in law just said I could just have that 5.3 if I want it. Head is still spinning a little but think I’m leaning heavily towards Vortec way at the moment. Not like I have money falling out my a— but I see a brand new crate 383 is as low as $3300. Guessing rebuilding something especially a nocker could easily cost half that right so…. Talking with an exhaust shop next week so I can at least start working on stuff that will be needed regardless minus headers. I have time to decide platform yet.
Speaking of muddying the waters in my opinion nothing would look better than a TPI unit under that hood! Better stop before moderators have to move it again.
I've got a chunk of change for once, and It'd be so sweet to swap the 383 over and I'd do it in a heartbeat if I didn't know it would shred my 4l60e in half in 5 seconds and cost me another $3-5k instantly LOL.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
A TPI is the plan for Frank and maybe a small hairdryer so I don't need to downshift as often. But I would do a 4.8 with a turbo in a heartbeat in both my duallies.