Lq4 4l80- 1999 push button t-case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Knudson

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking at swapping a lq4 6.0 and 4l80 out of a 05 Yukon Denali into my 1999 suburban but I don't want to have full time all wheel drive. My 1999 suburban has the push button t-case and I am wondering if there a way to make the stock t-case work. I'm sure is been covered some where but I search and could find any information.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Denali came with a 4L65e, not a 4L80e. If your suburban is a 1500, just keep your transfer case. I don't know if you'll need an adapter on the 4L65e to bolt to you TC. But the 4L60e and 65e are basically the same.

The Denali has a NP149 or something like that, right? AWD? I don't know anything about that TC.

If are swapping a 4L80e "in addition" to the LQ4, then the input shaft of you TC has to be swapped to a 32 spline to match the transmission. Also, the driveshaft(s) need to shortened or elongated.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The Denali's had AWD,and from what we were told when we got our 06, the TC has no neutral position. It runs all the time, IIRC it's 30% front/70% rear power distribution. Pretty sure ours has a 4L80E, but the 06s might have been using up extra parts. Was a strong runner, till it got old and worn out, and it would tow a small trailer like it wasn't even there.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Denali's had AWD,and from what we were told when we got our 06, the TC has no neutral position. It runs all the time, IIRC it's 30% front/70% rear power distribution. Pretty sure ours has a 4L80E, but the 06s might have been using up extra parts. Was a strong runner, till it got old and worn out, and it would tow a small trailer like it wasn't even there.
As far as I know, on the GMT 800 is very easy. Any gas full size truck/SUV/van:
6 lug = 4L60e/4L65e... wasn't there also a 4L70e towards the end?

8 lug = 4L80e

I would crawl under there just to double check for reference, in case you need to buy a filter , solenoid or anything down the road. It's pretty easy to tell one from the other. Just look for the round or square accumulator the behind the cooler lines. Or number of pan bolts. Or size/shape of oil pan.

I've seen more than once Denali LQ9 engines for sale paired with a transmission listed as a 4L80e, and the photos clearly show a 65e.

Of course, with these GM trucks, any imaginable swap is possible! LOL.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
As far as I know, on the GMT 800 is very easy. Any gas full size truck/SUV/van:
6 lug = 4L60e/4L65e... wasn't there also a 4L70e towards the end?

8 lug = 4L80e

I would crawl under there just to double check for reference, in case you need to buy a filter , solenoid or anything down the road. It's pretty easy to tell one from the other. Just look for the round or square accumulator the behind the cooler lines. Or number of pan bolts. Or size/shape of oil pan.

I've seen more than once Denali LQ9 engines for sale paired with a transmission listed as a 4L80e, and the photos clearly show a 65e.

Of course, with these GM trucks, any imaginable swap is possible! LOL.
It's a half ton, so 6 lug. I got the temp sensor for the trans based on it being an 80, I think I used the VIN to get it( too many years ago to remember for sure).