Lowering leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What experience does anyone have with lowering leaf springs?? I'm considering raising my truck up to a 2/4 and thinking of going that route. Currently running a 3/5.

KingOfCold

Reaction score
I put the Belltech 4 inch leaves on my '92 because i didnt want to have to deal with cutting off the stock hangers. I dont know if the leaves are not true 4 inch or if they just havent settled yet, but the rear of the truck is still about an inch higher than the front. Granted, the front coils are still stock and ive added about 250 pounds of bullshit to the front of the truck. Regardless, I'm probably going to add a 1 inch shackle in the rear. Also i ended up needing a 6 degree shim to get the correct pinion angle.

miroslav

Reaction score
I ran a 3/4 static drop long time ago before I bagged mine. I had 2” spindles and 1” springs up front and Hotchkiss 4” leafs in the back. Hotchkiss no longer makes those springs though. I liked the look with the 3/4 drop but the ride was pretty stiff. My biggest complaint was that I couldn’t carry anything with the truck anymore. Any weight I put in the bed would put the rear down almost to or on the bump stops. I liked the lower stance but wanted to still be able to use the truck. That’s when I just went ahead and bagged my truck.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for your guys input. I probably don't put 500 miles a month on this truck anymore, so I don't mind it being stiff riding. It has a freaking expensive ass set of bilsteins I just put on. I don't have any experience with belltech shocks, but I can't imagine them being better than the bilsteins. The shocks that come with a maxtrac kit are hands down, the biggest turds ever. I was able to put them against my stomach and one handed, totally compress it. I wish hotchkiss still made those particular leafs. Any clue where those could be tracked down at now?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not going to be cheap, but these guys can make you whatever leaf springs you want. They've got options for -1, -2, or -3 inches in their pre-fab order form, but I'm sure if you wanted a set of -4" they could custom make that no problem.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run these springs and they ride great, however i dont tow anything
Thanks for all the input guys. If anyone runs across a set of 4 inch springs, let me know. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a good, used set.