Lowering a k3500 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 2005 Yukon that I was going to lower - it died before I got the chance. An awd full size truck that stays out of the wind sounds fun to me. It wouldn't be my only 4x4, but i'd have one.

George306

Reaction score
Was wondering how your progress went i have a 96 gmc 3500 dually 4wd and want to lower it as well and can't find anything but 2 inch drop torsion keys but that is not low enough i want to do 4 /5 front and 6/7 rear everyone always gives a guy a hard time for lowering a 4wd but I live in Canada and we have snow that and I'm building a turbo 6.0 ls hoping for around 700hp so a functional 4wd would be nice

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was wondering how your progress went i have a 96 gmc 3500 dually 4wd and want to lower it as well and can't find anything but 2 inch drop torsion keys but that is not low enough i want to do 4 /5 front and 6/7 rear everyone always gives a guy a hard time for lowering a 4wd but I live in Canada and we have snow that and I'm building a turbo 6.0 ls hoping for around 700hp so a functional 4wd would be nice
Not many with lowered 4x4's on here. I had my 98' Z71 dropped 5/6 for a while, ran drop keys de-cranked all the way for 5" in the front, ran a regular flip kit & notch out back with helper bags for 6", 7" without the bags. If you drop it you'll have to be mindful of the CV angles like on a lifted truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I originally wanted to lower my 2wd crew cab 2"/4", but the more I drive it the more I like it the way it is. My old ass just feels like this is a truck, and this is how it is supposed to be. 4wd would be nice, considering the places I will take it.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is where I'm going today. This is just well traveled grass. Was never gravel or anything. Top left corner is a Crown Vic that is 80 feet off the road, to give you an idea of what I'm going to drive my ONE wheel drive crew cab on, lol!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I have already lowered Frank a couple of inches in the front by de cranking the torsion bars. I believe the moron-crackhead chimpanzees had them cranked up. It rides much nicer in front.

The back rides fine when you have 5-600 pounds in the bed so I'm planning air ride in the rear.
The plan will de crank the torsions until the cv axles are parallel to the ground and lower the back enough to have a 2" rake (level just looks wrong to me).

Air ride is for ride the quality as well as the ability to have my headlights aimed correctly weather its loaded or not.
I also want to be able to "kneel" the back end for loading/unloading.

I'm leaning toward a triangulated 4 link but I haven't decided yet.

Anyone have a recommendation for a c notch kit? I want the frame to be stronger after the c notch then before. I will likely make one but I would like to be able to blame somebody else when it breaks!:p:D

As always, any advice (good or bad) and thoughts are always appreciated!

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have already lowered Frank a couple of inches in the front by de cranking the torsion bars. I believe the moron-crackhead chimpanzees had them cranked up. It rides much nicer in front.

The back rides fine when you have 5-600 pounds in the bed so I'm planning air ride in the rear.
The plan will de crank the torsions until the cv axles are parallel to the ground and lower the back enough to have a 2" rake (level just looks wrong to me).

Air ride is for ride the quality as well as the ability to have my headlights aimed correctly weather its loaded or not.
I also want to be able to "kneel" the back end for loading/unloading.

I'm leaning toward a triangulated 4 link but I haven't decided yet.

Anyone have a recommendation for a c notch kit? I want the frame to be stronger after the c notch then before. I will likely make one but I would like to be able to blame somebody else when it breaks!:p:D

As always, any advice (good or bad) and thoughts are always appreciated!
I've ramped, literally flown, (not on purpose) a bell tech notched C3500 at interstate speeds without damaging the notch. If you weld it in it'll be the strongest part of the frame.
I'm gonna cut the monster notch in my dually down to normal size when I redo the air ride here soon, it's strong, but way too tall.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I've ramped, literally flown, (not on purpose) a bell tech notched C3500 at interstate speeds without damaging the notch. If you weld it in it'll be the strongest part of the frame.
I'm gonna cut the monster notch in my dually down to normal size when I redo the air ride here soon, it's strong, but way too tall.
Thankyewvurrymuch!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just FYI I've also used DJM without any problems on a dually, and my NBS 1500 daily has a Maxtrac setup including a notch, no issues there either.