Lowering a k3500 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Western Chassis has a nice one too. WST-2107 I'm going to look at the DJM one now. Is it the same c notch for 1/2 ton and 1 ton? I would think the 1 ton would be heavier.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly it's been a few years since I last did one on a 3500, but looking at the Belltech website they show different part numbers for 1500 and 2500/3500 notches, so I'd say you're right.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
From a fellow Canadian, dont lower this truck if you plan on driving it in snow. you will always be plowing through it. you would need half decent tires to get some grip. I dont see any use for a lowered 4x4 that's guna be driven in snow it will get stuck where the front wheel drive bullshit car with good snow tires can drive right through... that 6L and turbos will not help move through the snow.

drive your truck and buy another to hot rod. if you dont get stuck it will look like this.... stock height c1500, pushing through 12" snow plus drifts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Was wondering how your progress went i have a 96 gmc 3500 dually 4wd and want to lower it as well and can't find anything but 2 inch drop torsion keys but that is not low enough i want to do 4 /5 front and 6/7 rear everyone always gives a guy a hard time for lowering a 4wd but I live in Canada and we have snow that and I'm building a turbo 6.0 ls hoping for around 700hp so a functional 4wd would be nice

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
plus if you ever take this off pavement into squishy questionable ground you will be the first one who sinks. Iv sunk my burb 3 times, it happens quick and shes also at stock height. shes been sunk so bad that the running board are under the mud. it sucks!

Al

George306

Reaction score
From a fellow Canadian, dont lower this truck if you plan on driving it in snow. you will always be plowing through it. you would need half decent tires to get some grip. I dont see any use for a lowered 4x4 that's guna be driven in snow it will get stuck where the front wheel drive ******** car with good snow tires can drive right through... that 6L and turbos will not help move through the snow.

drive your truck and buy another to hot rod. if you dont get stuck it will look like this.... stock height c1500, pushing through 12" snow plus drifts.

I don't plan on driving it much in the snow really looking more for awd to launch it on pavement for something to do I just wonder why anything after 2000 has drop spindles for trucks from 1500 to 3500 but these years don't this is one of my backup trucks so I'm good in the snow

Attachments

• 20191001_164918.jpg
    20191001_164918.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191013_183423.jpg
    20191013_183423.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 9

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about a gmt800 knuckle swap? If you can get lowering knuckles for a gmt800 I'd go that route. Also gets you far superior brakes. Lawrence LT Tolman on YouTube has a good video going through the swap on his suburban. He mentions using 2500ld knuckles because you can keep the stock tie rods but if you use the HD knuckles you'll just need moog ES409RT tie rod ends.

codogl1

Reaction score
Not many with lowered 4x4's on here. I had my 98' Z71 dropped 5/6 for a while, ran drop keys de-cranked all the way for 5" in the front, ran a regular flip kit & notch out back with helper bags for 6", 7" without the bags. If you drop it you'll have to be mindful of the CV angles like on a lifted truck.
bea

Not many with lowered 4x4's on here. I had my 98' Z71 dropped 5/6 for a while, ran drop keys de-cranked all the way for 5" in the front, ran a regular flip kit & notch out back with helper bags for 6", 7" without the bags. If you drop it you'll have to be mindful of the CV angles like on a lifted truck.
perfect drop! What flip kit did you go with? did you also add in shims for pinion angles? I'm wanting to do the same drop on my 95 ext cab z71

QLONA

Reaction score
perfect drop! What flip kit did you go with? did you also add in shims for pinion angles? I'm wanting to do the same drop on my 95 ext cab z71
I currently have a Tinworks Fab in mine and I constantly bottom out. I would've bought a DC fab if they were out at the time i did mine, they give you an additional 2.5" clearance and still remains under bed, you can buy a Tinworks fab shim kit to correct all the angles.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The #1 reason to lower a 4X4; The owner wants too.

I returned mine back to stock height... I don't like the slammed look, and a C notch is an abomination (personal preference of course). It's true what they say... GM/Chevy designed the truck to be a certain height with a well designed geo-meticals. Giant tires (been there done that) has the same effect as changing the rear end (and front) ratios, and suddenly, the truck has no power or pep anymore. Anyway, such changes are 99% of the time cosmetic/owner preferred. Now in my OG years, I'm back to stock height with a nice set of tire/rims.