Lowering 93 chevy 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tanner James

Reaction score
So i know i might get flack for this but i’m wanting to lower a 4x4 to make something to drag race and be a street build, flip in to 4wd and launch from the line kind of thing. I’m wanting to do about a 6/3 or maybe 6/4. I guess im wondering if anyone knows how far i can de crank the stock torsion keys and if i can get it to around a 3 inch drop with that. Thank you

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

You will likely only get 2-3 inches from a de-crank and you can do a shackle and hanger kit for the rear for 4".

If you are going to race in 4WD you need to have the half shafts parallel to the ground when you launch.

To clarify, you want the inboard cv joint to be 1-2" lower at ride height so when you launch and the front end rises the cv axles will be straight.

The ifs differentials have a reputation for being fragile but that might be the 35" tire half ton torsion bars jacked to the moon guys.

If it wheel hops abort the run. The carnage from "Axle Tramp Harmonics" can be devastating!

What engine/transmission are you using?

Also what year, make, and model do you have?

If you put that info in your sig it will help you get better answers.

Last edited:

Tanner James

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

You will likely only get 2-3 inches from a de-crank and you can do a shackle and hanger kit for the rear for 4".

If you are going to race in 4WD you need to have the half shafts parallel to the ground when you launch.

To clarify, you want the inboard cv joint to be 1-2" lower at ride height so when you launch and the front end rises the cv axles will be straight.

The ifs differentials have a reputation for being fragile but that might be the 35" tire half ton torsion bars jacked to the moon guys.

If it wheel hops abort the run. The carnage from "Axle Tramp Harmonics" can be devastating!

What engine/transmission are you using?

Also what year, make, and model do you have?

If you put that info in your sig it will help you get better answers.
It’s a 1993 chevy k1500 4wd 1/2 ton and just a fleetside long box. It has the stock tbi 5.7l 350 and stock trans. i’m wanting to swap the motor (maybe get a long block 350 to build up) or beef the one in it up a little, not making a ton of power but enough to have some fun at the strip. i just did a little more research on lowering shackles and i think a 4/2 drop might actually be what i’m looking for. Can you point me in the direction of any 4” lowing shackles and hangers? i’ll have to do more research on cv angles. As you can tell i’m a little new to this.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started a lowered 4x4 restoration in 2016, but 3 kids and the plandemic have stalled me.

The first thing I bought was a set of lowering torsion keys. Supposed to give me a 2.5-3" drop. As long as the OE bump stops are removed and replaced with much shorter ones.

@Frank Enstein CV shafts parrallel to the ground on a launch?
Uh, maybe? I've never raced a full time 4x4.
Check out the stock ride height of an AWD Chevy Express van. The CV angles are actually reversed, the differential is lower than the wheel bearings... If the trucks can be lifted and the CV shafts rotate smoothly, they can be reversed and cruise smoothly. And since the suspension travels in an ark during jounce, it might be OK. Good call?

As for the rear, any drop, slam, or axle flip that a 2wd can do, a 4x4 can do. Mine is getting 2wd forward leaf hangers (for a 2" drop) and a set of lowering shackles (for 2 more inches drop)

Last edited:

Tanner James

Reaction score
I started a lowered 4x4 restoration in 2016, but 3 kids and the plandemic have stalled me.

The first thing I bought was a set of lowering torsion keys. Supposed to give me a 2.5-3" drop. As long as the OE bump stops are removed and replaced with much shorter ones.

@Frank Enstein CV shafts parrallel to the ground on a launch?
Uh, maybe? I've never raced a full time 4x4.
Check out the stock ride height of an AWD Chevy Express van. The CV angles are actually reversed, the differential is lower than the wheel bearings... If the trucks can be lifted and the CV shafts rotate smoothly, they can be reversed and cruise smoothly. And since the suspension travels in an ark during jounce, it might be OK. Good call?

As for the rear, any drop, slam, or axle flip that a 2wd can do, a 4x4 can do. Mine is getting 2wd forward leaf hangers (for a 2" drop) and a set of lowering shackles (for 2 more inches drop)
Yeah i’ll probably buy some new torsion keys for it and ok that really clears it up. I was looking for shackles and almost everything i can find says it will only work on a 2wd so that got me a little confused.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah i’ll probably buy some new torsion keys for it and ok that really clears it up. I was looking for shackles and almost everything i can find says it will only work on a 2wd so that got me a little confused.
Dont forget shorter shocks. Ridetech has a listing specifically for lowered 4x4's.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The axles are strongest with no angle on them. That's one reason the Diesel drag/pulling trucks are low in the front.

Some angle on the cv's is fine for street use but if driven aggressively they can wear out very quickly.
Or break at the track.