Lowering 92 K1500 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bagged92sdime

Reaction score
Hi, I'm starting to look into lowering my 93 K1500. Can't seem to find alot on lowering them. I've read that drop torsion keys are a good idea, but only get you 1"-2" of drop. How much can you get out of the torsion bars themselves without causing a ton of premature wear? I'm really wanting to do something like a 5/8 drop. The rear I figure I could get away with an axle flip and maybe a block? Would I need to cut off bump stops or anything?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
here was my reply to somebody else the other day
option 1 lowering shackles to level
option 2 shackles and decrack the front will have a lil rake
option3 drop coils for decracked and shackles and hangers or drop leafs for around 3/4 ish
option 4 would to do coils and decrank with a flip kit out back...i think you can get a full 2 inch drop front by decranking but u have to keep your cv angles in line like the the guys who crank thiers to raise

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
i have the belltech keys and have had them in for 10 years....5 is the max for a 4x4 and still have wheel travel....you have to shave the bumpstops or replace them with poly ones...in the rear there are alot of ways to lower...i went with drop shakles and belltech spring relocater , changed to a 3/4 ton 14 bolt from a 10 bolt and total drop was 6 inches

bagged92sdime

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...And max possible drop up front was more what I was after as far as information. Thanks. I'm not new to lowered vehicles (have 2 bagged vehicles, a Geo Tracker and S10), but I have never dealt with torsion bars...

Shortly after posting this thread, I searched in a different way on Summit and found some parts made by Western Chassis: a torsion key set that they say will give you 4.5" of drop (how do you actually go beyond that? Can you crank them down even more than what they say is an ok range?) and an axle flip kit with bolt in c-notch.

Here are links to the parts I found on Western Chassis's site:

http://westernchassisinc.com/shop/Chevy-GMC-C1500-Lowering-Front-Torsion-Keys/

http://westernchassisinc.com/shop/Chevy-GMC-C1500-Rear-Flip-and-C-Section-Kits/ (in one of the options it shows a 6" drop)

http://westernchassisinc.com/shop/Chevy-GMC-C1500-Bump-Stop-Kits/ (their bump stops)

Any thoughts on these?

And low4x4, did you have to do a notch for the 6" drop? If no, does your diff ever smack the bed or anything?

I also found a wheel/tire combo I really like...

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/enk-25288583sm (I know they're tuner style wheels, but for some reason I actally like them)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nit-251020 (not dead set on the tires, might go down to a 50 series?)

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
i have very little front or rear travel room....maybe 1.5" off the bumps in the front and 2" in the rear...no in the rear 6" was from the drop shackles and spring drop relocaters....the new springs on a 2500 axle was the other two....a 1500 axle has 1.5" high spring perch, a 2500 which is almost even with the axle

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
not very often..but i don't 4x4 much any more....i did a complete enery suspension and body mounts so every thing is kinda stiff...maybe down the road i will do some custom hydrolic suspension lift/ drop so i can have the best of both worlds

bagged92sdime

Reaction score
not very often..but i don't 4x4 much any more....i did a complete enery suspension and body mounts so every thing is kinda stiff...maybe down the road i will do some custom hydrolic suspension lift/ drop so i can have the best of both worlds

Thats cool. I think the only time the truck goes offroad is when I make a dump run or go to a camp site at the dunes...As long as I'm not hitting bump stops all the time, I think I'll end up going with a 4/6 drop. Doing an exhaust here in a few days...Gonna get wheels and tires for it then it'll be time to drop it...

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
you have to be care with the 4/6 drop .... custom wheels in the front will/could stick out past the fender lip....my stock tires were perfect...my 305/50/20's stuck out 2.5 inches past the fender...thats why i have 3" bulged off road racing fenderson the front

you can see that, if you were at the lowest drop and hit a bump , with wide tires and rims, your tread would be rubbing the fender lip

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
here it is with the 3/4 drop

i used pacer flares to protect the body from spray from the tread and make it some what legal