Lower Intermediate Steering Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
"What upper control arms are those? They look like 4wd uppers."

They're the stock controls arms, I replaced the bushings and ball joint, but they would be similar to part#'s ACDELCO 45D1248 & ACDELCO 45D1247. To the best of my knowledge they came on the C-series 1-ton and heavy 3/4 ton trucks.

Now, I feel dumb.... I forgot about those arms, and I actually have a set in my garage from a G3500 that need new bushings. I grabbed them from a prior job when one of our vans got new ones.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now, I feel dumb.... I forgot about those arms, and I actually have a set in my garage from a G3500 that need new bushings. I grabbed them from a prior job when one of our vans got new ones.

Nah, there's lots of info and variations on parts and whatnot, I imagine it'd be difficult for someone to keep track of it all even if they did this for a living. You mentioned bushings - FWIW - I've been really pleased with the urethane bushings. If you haven't done them on these, you keep the original shells in place, burn out the rubber and replace that with the urethane.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You mentioned bushings - FWIW - I've been really pleased with the urethane bushings. If you haven't done them on these, you keep the original shells in place, burn out the rubber and replace that with the urethane.

Unfortunately, the van was run past saving the shells. I think one was mostly gone. I pressed them out on one arm already. I don't remember about the other. I need a better way to press these things. I was trying to use a ball joint press and I wasn't getting it. I screwed up one of my new bushings and gave up..... I have nothing to use these on, so it's not a big deal.

I should take a look at them today. I don't recall if they have ball joints in them or not.... I'm thinking they're OEM that need the rivets removed. I need to do a little (ok, a lot) of picking up in the garage.