Lower Intermediate Steering Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There have been confirmed reports that the coupler sitting right next to your header is 'glued' in place and that glue melts from the heat of headers and you lose all steering unexpectedly and with no prior warning.

Please if you value your life, take that off and put the stock unit back in there!

Can you provide more info or documentation? I have seen a lot of articles about the Jeep shaft and know they aren't to be used on the later style like 98 up but have seen nothing like you posted. It is a double D so there should be no rotational issues

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Can you provide more info or documentation? I have seen a lot of articles about the Jeep shaft and know they aren't to be used on the later style like 98 up but have seen nothing like you posted. It is a double D so there should be no rotational issues

This post is on another Board from out friend here #someotherguy

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/319491/

There are more reports on the big thread regarding the jeep shaft on this site also but that thread is 40 something pages long, I would suggest reading through it.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look at the top coupler, you will see two long ribs about 1/2" wide running the length of the coupler on opposite sides.
Over time these ribs will get spread out or widened from forces of the pucks inside.
If you put the ribs, (while still fully assembled), in a vise and clamp them down just a little, (squeezing them to make them a little narrower), it will remove any slop in the coupler.
Between replacing the rag joint and resizing the upper coupler ribs, you will have zero steering wheel play.

An old guy that owned a front end / alignment shop showed me this trick about 20 years ago and I've done a dozen times or so with good results...

Well, dang it, I still don't get your description of the ribs on the top coupler. I'm very interested though. Any way you can find a pic and point to it?

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The above U-joint was for the Dorman 425-274 steering shaft, found one on sale way cheaper than the Cherokee shaft so i figured I'd give it a try.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-92864-425-274.aspx

If I had to do it again I'd probably just buy two universal coupler joints and the bar stock and make one. It was a bit of work to swap the ends, plus the 425-274 is a little long so I had to cut a bit off for it to fit. Here's a couple pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If I had to do it again I'd probably just buy two universal coupler joints and the bar stock and make one. It was a bit of work to swap the ends, plus the 425-274 is a little long so I had to cut a bit off for it to fit.

Do you mean a solid shaft that wouldn't collapse?

What upper control arms are those? They look like 4wd uppers.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Do you mean a solid shaft that wouldn't collapse?"

When I was looking in to it originally, before I came across the Dorman one, I was thinking along the lines of a hollow D-shaft/solid D-shaft combo like what comes originally on the truck.

"What upper control arms are those? They look like 4wd uppers."

They're the stock controls arms, I replaced the bushings and ball joint, but they would be similar to part#'s ACDELCO 45D1248 & ACDELCO 45D1247. To the best of my knowledge they came on the C-series 1-ton and heavy 3/4 ton trucks.