Lower Front Shock Bolts - 98 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

semps98Chy

Reaction score
Hello,
I have searched the web and this forum and can't find an answer.
What are the size of the 2 lower bolts on the front shocks? I am pretty sure it is metric? (Pic below)
I got 3 out but one snapped so I need to get a tap. I know I can go to Home Depot to make a confirmed comparison, and I will, but thought someone may know here just to confirm.
Thanks in advance
Ray

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a thread gauge? Do you know how to use a tap & die set? How do you propose to remove a broken bolt with a tap? Have looked in gm parts for the size?
This is not being mean spirited, there are easy tasks you can do, and get your answer much faster on your own.
From the information in your question, if you haven't extracted a sheared bolt or stud before. I'd advise some caution. You have different types of "easy outs", straight wedge, spiral, spline ? Tool steel drill bits smaller, as in 3/16, 7/32 etc. A good
variable speed drill that will chuck small bits. GM #11515758
BOLT, HEX FLANGED HEAD,M8X1.25X30,28THD,18 O.D.,MACHINE

semps98Chy

Reaction score
Sorry for the bother, just thought I'd confirm without giving the information that it is an M8 thread. The information is not anywhere I have looked and even you did not give an answer to the correct size! Again sorry to bother.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Why is it always the new guys..

He gave you the measurements. Maybe you didn't finish reading the post after you got annoyed?

BTW a bolt size gauge and thread pitch gauges (metric and SAE) are really awesome tools to have, and aren't expensive. They go a long way towards making you a more self-sufficient wrench spinner.

Richard

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
HEX FLANGED HEAD = A Hex or 6 sided head with a flange like a washer built into the head.

The M8X1.25X30 is;

M8 = 8mm

1.25 = millimeters between the thread peaks. 1.5 is coarser 1.0 is finer.
Exactly the opposite of USS/SAE Threads Per Inch. Lower number coarser thread.

X30 = 30mm Under Head Length or UHL How long the bolt is under the head of the bolt.

28THD = Not a clue what this is. Sorry. Maybe the tapered end?

18 O.D. = The Outside Diameter of the Flange.

MACHINE = A threaded bolt or screw designed to threaded into a nut or a thread cut into the part.
A Screw generally refers to a bolt or screw that threads into the material itself like a wood screw.

I hope we helped.

Frank

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Right? I typed out a similar response and then decided not to bother.
Not to dogpile on the dude, just speaking in general terms - I think not enough people's parents left them to figure things out on their own. Set an example, give a little guidance, but leave them to their own devices to learn.

Two big moments in my life, courtesy of either parent -

1982, I was 12. Mom came home with a brand new PC. It was an NEC PC-8801a and it ran CP/M (predecessor to DOS.) Very expensive. Salesman told her, if you have kids in the house, don't let them touch it. She parked the boxes in the living room and told me the manuals are in there, if you want to check it out. She went out on an errand, by the time she got back I had the thing fully assembled and running its built-in diagnostics while I dug into the CP/M, BASIC, and WordStar manuals. This led to playing with computers as a hobby for years, and eventually a 17-year IT career.

2003, age 33, I had quit my final IT job and came home to TX to help the old man with his wrecker service and used car lot. Very first day I'm back he gets a call for a wreck, we jump in the rollback and haul ass. We get there and find an old man had passed out and ran his Caddy off a country highway into a huge culvert and flipped it, and it was bumper to bumper suspended over the water on either end of the concrete sides, upside-down. Guy was OK and they had hauled him off in the ambulance already. Trooper clears us to recover the car, old man steps back and tells me, "Go get it." ... and I did, with minimal secondary damage, considering the circumstances. A year of running wrecks, police tows, and repos for our car lot - and I struck out on my own after building my first wrecker (the white GMC) and began a private property towing and repo business with a family friend. We since disbanded that but I stayed in the business and have been at it ever since with just small breaks doing other things, so nearly 17 years of car snatchin' now.

How's that for a threadjack? Hope it was inspirational..

Richard

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it is metric?
The markings on the bolt head will tell you if it’s SAE or metric. Metric will have a number designating the grade and standard will have lines on it, for lack of a better word. Count the lines, add two and that is your grade for grades 5 and 8. Match the grade with the replacement bolt.

You must be registered for see images attach

From there, the bolt length is measured from under the head to the end. Most part stores have template boards with threaded couplers or studs that will let you try out your bolt or nut to make sure that you have the right one and correct pitch. Then look on the shelf for the one that is out of stock and that’ll be the one you want.

And last, this site has the old parts diagrams for these trucks. You cannot order from them, but they come in handy when tracking down the GM part number for a discontinued part:

Last edited: