Low range without 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaydee1445

Reaction score
I ordered an actuator and a pig tail to replace the thermal one on my 94. Plan is to use a dash mounted switch.
You guys that replaced the thermal actuator how thick was the puck. I read the Dorman kit's puck is 3/4" that seems big.
CarQuest PTA 1371 looks to be the pigtail plug to roll your own harness. The electric DC servo actuator uses a power a ground and a second ground to operate. See video below.
New OEM American Axle Manufacturing GM 4WD front differential actuator on fleay is reported to be from the OEM. I made a call to a distributor to confirm. So far less than $80 spent. I thought about the posi-loc but $170 is stupid.

Last edited:

jaydee1445

Reaction score
Here is the 5pin connector pin out. Without the parts in hand and trying it, only going off the 98 diagram and macanic21's video I'm thinking:
C goes to 20 amp switched ign. fuse brown wire circuit #241 according to the 98 diagram. The 95 shows the fuse as 25 amp # 24 circuit #241
E is ground
B Will be the switched ground to engage actuator.
A Doesn't seem to necessary on the pre 98 trucks; it looks like a signal output wire to the VCM. I need to probe the output on the servo once it arrives.

My guess is interrupt the brown cirucit 241 for 2wd low without disturbing the rest of the wiring.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plan is to use a dash mounted switch.
If I were interested in a dash-switch, I'd use a 3-position switch.
On--Engages actuator.
Off--Prevents actuator engagement (useful for low-range 2WD)
Auto--Engages automatically with transfer case, just like stock.

But in my case, having it operate just like stock is fine with me. I don't need a dash-switch.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I posted dorman instructions before. Relevant wiring diagrams in there as well to wire the actuator as needed. On auto 4wd transfer case system, there is a signal that is sent back to acknowledge actuator engaged. If want to keep 2wd in low range and keep the system from knowing any difference, would not only break the engage signal with the switch, but use the same switch to send a signal back to tell the controller that front engaged. Dpdt switch with NO and NC contacts would work. If using the pigtail from junk yard, one of the pins need to move over.

Last edited: