Low Beams Do Not Work, Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a 1999 GMC K1500 Sierra Classic, however the ole girl has some small issues, my low beams don't work. I have already checked the bulbs and they seem fine, they show no signs of being worn out. I took a voltmeter and checked the plug with the switch for low beams on and I got no voltage. I've checked the fuse under the hood for the lights and they are fine. I also checked the fuses under the dash and they appear fine too. The only thing I can figure is that either the switch is bad or there is a disconnection somewhere else in between the switch and the lights. Any insight on my problem is greatly appreciated Thank you!
sincerely
JeezLouiseGMC

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would suspect the headlight switch. I had one go out in my Suburban and it did some strange things. Lots of circuits go directly through that switch.

EDIT - Check the headlight switch connectors too when you pull it out. I've seen lots of people on here who have burned up connections or wires back there.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suspect the headlight switch. I had one go out in my Suburban and it did some strange things. Lots of circuits go directly through that switch.

EDIT - Check the headlight switch connectors too when you pull it out. I've seen lots of people on here who have burned up connections or wires back there.

Thanks for the help! What would be the best way to check the switch without replacing it? (just to be sure it is the problem)

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '99 had a broken wire right where the wires plug into the headlight switch.

Do your driving lights work?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! What would be the best way to check the switch without replacing it? (just to be sure it is the problem)

I couldn't tell you, honestly. My issue was my interior lights working intermittently and I suspected that the switch was the issue so I just ordered a new one. Parts cannon worked like a charm. I'd definitely pull it out and check the wires and connector first, though. Someone else may have an actual diagnosis strategy.

Here's a link to the new ACDelco factory switch. About $70 on Amazon. It looks a little different than the original ones, but it works just fine and has LED backlighting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IZ3MWA

Alternatively, you could probably have @Z71Hobbs pull you a used one from a salvage yard and ship it to you for quite a bit cheaper. Or if you have any salvage yards in your area you could check there. These switches tend to degrade pretty reliably over time, though. Finding one in good cosmetic shape might be tricky.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The main problem I find with the salvage yard units are the knobs...they just don’t hold up or clean up well. But, you can do the savanna express knob upgrade and solve that problem!

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you, honestly. My issue was my interior lights working intermittently and I suspected that the switch was the issue so I just ordered a new one. Parts cannon worked like a charm. I'd definitely pull it out and check the wires and connector first, though. Someone else may have an actual diagnosis strategy.

Here's a link to the new ACDelco factory switch. About $70 on Amazon. It looks a little different than the original ones, but it works just fine and has LED backlighting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IZ3MWA

Alternatively, you could probably have @Z71Hobbs pull you a used one from a salvage yard and ship it to you for quite a bit cheaper. Or if you have any salvage yards in your area you could check there. These switches tend to degrade pretty reliably over time, though. Finding one in good cosmetic shape might be tricky.
Well i have good news, I fixed it, however my problem was user incompetence, sometimes the answer is right under your nose. That would've been the snake that bit me Lol! I'm just glad there wasn't a problem after all. thank you for all the help though!!
EDIT: I apologize for wasting yall's time, but I really appreciate the effort though, but the sad reality is you can't fix stupid lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well i have good news, I fixed it, however my problem was user incompetence, sometimes the answer is right under your nose. That would've been the snake that bit me Lol! I'm just glad there wasn't a problem after all. thank you for all the help though!!

You're welcome! What did the problem end up being? Miss a blown fuse in the box or something?

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're welcome! What did the problem end up being? Miss a blown fuse in the box or something?
I wish it had been that, I just didn't understand how the headlight switch worked :/ Did I mention that Ive had the truck two days now and that its my first vehicle? Lol I really appreciate the help though. the fact that ya'll were so eager to help means I'll definitely be back it i have any other problems.