Loud Noise Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DForce909

Reaction score
Did any of the accessory pulleys feel weird when you spun them? Anything that felt like resistance from a dying bearing? The fact that it doesn't make the noise with the belt off makes me think it has to be accessory related.

The only one that actually feels slightly off is the ac compressor. It sort of makes a rocking noise when I spun it. Though I remember it being that way before. I could be absolutely wrong. One thing is for sure its either the ac compressor, water pump or power steering. I replaced the alternator and it wasnt it. Noise still persists so its potnetially the ac. I still have to get that stethoscope to be sure though

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So in using any aerosols yo find a mystery sound, squeel, screech, scream, grinding. Unless! Your very sure and experienced in this method. You will always get a sh**ton of overspray potentially mileading or hiding the real culprit. Example- everytome i start it up i get a squeel whine on startup. Accelerates with rpm increase. (Engine not drivetrain related) . Removed belt hand spin feel for rough, any roughness is multiplied by factor to infinity at high rpm belt pulley speed. Finally narrowed it down to Alternator bearing after a minute or two it went away no sounds. But upon removal bearings are anout to give there last gasp and die. Out put was fine. Oh well. That was a little harder to track down.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The above took a little time with a stethoscope, and telling everyone and the dog and cat to shut the hellup for just a minute, please... You have the correct size belt installed, check the tensioner wear indcator on the top of housing, arrow tab and gauge band moulded in housing. Does it make noise only when cold or all the time? Stop engine, removing belt and check all bearing sufaces, inner race you can get to spin slowly and spin faster by hand. If you really want fine touch, ask your wife, girlfriend, daughter, or other female to spin and feel for any rough or grind with a good one for comparison. Yeah i know women and tools, if i give my wife a screwdriver it would be the apocalyse. But women have a genetic finer touch. See i made it about genetics.... They will feel a golden trout nibble that blackfly on calm stream while your still " did i write oil change mileage down somewhere?".

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mentioned ac compressor, does the sound change with ac on fullblast? If you stethoscope the areas of the ac switch on and off sound change?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but what kind of noise are you hearing?

Just to throw it in the ring, the PS pump shaft needs to be flush with the pulley flange to avoid a chirping belt.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just said WD40 because I didnt want him spraying a REAL lubricant right next to his belt where it would probably saturate the belt and cause it to slip and fail.

And the noise went away when he applied belt dressing... so WD40 or any other non-lubricant should quiet it down with a direct squirt to it.
If you're going to spray the belt(s)...a squirt-bottle of water does a fine job.

LOOK at the tensioner: It should be steady--not vibrating back-and-forth. If the tensioner is moving back and forth, you need a new tensioner--the damper inside has worn-out.

DForce909

Reaction score

Just to throw it in the ring, the PS pump shaft needs to be flush with the pulley flange to avoid a chirping belt.

The noise I am hearing is a loud squeal. It happens in idle or when I accelerate, so I guess all the time. I will take a look at this and get back to see if it is flush.

DForce909

Reaction score

This is what it looks like and its not flush

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would pull it back to flush. No guarantee that it’s your issue, but it would help to rule it out.

Last edited: