Lots of steering slop 1999 k2500 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96taho

Reaction score
It's listed for my Chevy... I have a truck and not a Suburban, Though. Maybe Suburban listings aren't as good as truck listings.

I have the Lares rag-joint on my truck, and I'm not entirely happy with it, for two reasons. First, there torque specs really deform the rubber with the bolts. Second, my steering wheel is now off about 30 degrees, and I don't know if there is enough wiggle room in the mounting of that new rag joint to fix it. The shaft only goes in one way, so it's not off a tooth or two on the splines... it's keyed. My box has slop in it, but I don't think that's why the wheel is that far off. Dorman makes a rag joint, too. I have no idea if it would be any better, but I kind of doubt it. They also make a whole new steering shaft, which is a lot more expensive.
OP, remember to bungee cord your steering wheel in place before doing any steering shaft work. If you spin the wheel with the shaft disconnected you will disable your airbag.

I used the Lares 205 and my wheel is now off about 30° as well. This seems to be a common complaint. Pitman to steering gear, steering gear to input shaft, they all have keyed splines so it is impossible to install them incorrectly.

There is also a polyurethane rag joint thats suppose to help firm up the steering slop