Lost 4th Gear; Code 28 and 58; 4L60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no means a transmission expert but I don’t reckon it’s supposed to look that bad
Yeah, that's not good. A "little" black residue on the magnet is normal. But the metallic glitter is a bad sign. Sorry. I've been there.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There’s what looks like welding beads in there too, but there’s no telling how long that’s been there

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its done bud.
Time to decide if you want a rebuild or an upgrade.
I would choose the upgrade for sure.
Especially if you are going to use it for towing.
Its about a grand or so more expensive than the normal rebuild.
But, I look at it this way.
If I just have somebody slap a rebuild kit in it for cheap.
I save some money up front but I loose reliability and dependability.
And it is a false savings.
Any tow truck pirate will take half of that the first time it blows up on the freeway.
On a worn transmission, TCC lockup may be quite subtle and maybe hard to notice.
At highway speed its only about 100 to 150 rpm.
Just driving into a head wind can cause a constant lock/unlock and that is really rough on the system.
The other thing to think about is that lockup also runs through the brake light switch.
And these trucks are known for intermittant brake light problems.
That is why you will occasionly follow a gmt400 on the freeway and get pissed off becuase he is brake checking you.
He really isnt.
Hes getting an intermittant brake switch failure and doesnt know it.
Yet in traffic when he stomps on the pedal to slow one of these pigs down it works just fine.
It is also really common to have a partial pedal brake light that shuts off at full pedal.
Especially if you have a leaking master cylinder or a leaking booster..
It really can turn into the best of all worlds.
TCC lockup problems with 1970s disco flashing tail lights and brakes made in china from...
Who knows what.
You can smoke a 4l60e just by towing with a bad brake light switch with a varying and intermittant contact.
You can also smoke a 700r4 just by having a 700r4.
Intermittant yet continious fluctuations in line pressure causes short episode losses of line pressure.
Every one of those rapid momentary losses of pressure is a moment of metal to metal contact.
Which is bad.
thats when it all gets chewed up in about one revolution.
Go Ukraine

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well as we all could’ve guessed, she is for sure toasted now. I replaced the EPC while I was in there as well as the filter. Felt like it had less power on take off and after I got it on the road it had no 4th gear was also slipping in and out with 2 and 3, before it eventually went into almost a limp mode where the rpm’s didn’t make a difference and I had to crawl it back home, which was thankfully close. It took all 5 quarts and still wasn't consistently showing full on the stick, but I was done messing with it at that point. Reckon it’s going to the shop.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mentioned you had a guy that could rebuild it in a day? That's to remove, rebuild and reinstall? That's really fast turn around!

Is this a shop? If so, just go ahead and take it to him. Don't take any other things apart. Have them save the bad parts since we are always curious minds...

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mentioned you had a guy that could rebuild it in a day? That's to remove, rebuild and reinstall? That's really fast turn around!

Is this a shop? If so, just go ahead and take it to him. Don't take any other things apart. Have them save the bad parts since we are always curious minds...
If that was me I guess I misspoke. It’s actually more so that my guy and his shop are so backed up that it is kind of why I wanted to try and drop the pan myself first. We will see how that phone call goes here in a minute.