Loss of power and surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasTeal95

Reaction score
I was driving home last night and hopped on the freeway. Cruising at about 70mph and all of a sudden I feel the rpm's fluctuating. I notice a loss of power and then a surging as if I was letting off the pedal and then stabbing it again but my pedal pressure was constant. I took my exit and drove over the highway on the overpass going about 30-35mph and the loss of power followed by a surge continued all the way until I pulled up the my house. I checked the transmission fluid so see if it was low just to be sure and nope its got the right amount and the fluid is the proper reddish color. No CEL either. Started it up again about an hour later and took it for a drive and it ran fine.

I had an issue previously with the TPS sensor and later with a ignition switch that was causing problems that made the trans act up but I fixed those a good 2 years ago and haven't had an issues with my truck until now. These symptoms feel different than those other 2 problems I experienced in the past. Has anyone ever experienced something like this with their truck?

The truck is a 95 C1500 with the 5.7 TBI motor the 4L60E tranny.
Its all stock except for RC lift spindles and 2.5" blocks out back with 32's but the transmission does have a Transogo Boost Valve and Corvette Servo that I installed about a year ago.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Surging can be from a lean condition, I would start with the fuel system ( fuel pump + fuel pump wiring / connector ) and fuel filter.

If you haven't changed your filter in a while, try that and see.

If the symptoms continue, you may have a fuel pump on it's way out or a bad wiring connection to the fuel pump either in the harness or the connector at the sending unit.

TexasTeal95

Reaction score
Drove it to work today and then got on the highway to go to the gun range after work and it I didn't have any problems. Speaking of fuel pumps, I actually have a brand new Delphi fuel pump and sending unit sitting around that I bought last year but never got around to installing because it seems like a pain in the ass to get to. I don't know if my truck is running lean but if anything I think it might be running rich. In the past its had trouble passing emissions testing the last couple of years except for last year. A day before inspection I ran Seafoam through the engine and it passed with flying colors. Currently the exhaust has a strong smell.

The last time I changed the fuel filter was probably a year to a year and a half ago. Can't remember when exactly. I have a NIB Napa Gold fuel filter somewhere in my garage. I will change it out tomorrow and try to check the wiring/connector.

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, after tons of tune up parts, I noticed that the Cats were pretty hot. I replaced them and the problem went away.

Not saying its your Cats, but worth looking at.