Losing hope

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
An uncommon thing I've seen a few times is the diode in the alternator doesn't turn off and drains the battery. Seen it I think 3 times. Dunno if that'll help you, but it's a possibility.
Because when I took the truck to autozone for them to test it they said everything was running good but I’ll double check on it.

heskahoka

Reaction score
Don't lose hope. You can diagnose this.

Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes.
1. Verify the battery. I know it's new, but take the battery or the truck back to Autozone and have them load test the new battery- just to be sure.
2. If the battery is good, pull the negative cable off and charge the battery with an external charger. This starts you off with a charged battery.
3. Test for parasitic draw. See this video for a tutorial:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

4. If after pulling fuses you find something, chase that circuit.
5. If you don't find something, look into the Alternator bridge diodes.
6. If the above does not work; find another mechanic. This should be gravy for a good one.

At night, or when you are not driving it, disconnect a battery cable so you are not worrying / babysitting it until you find it.

Good luck, this is solvable.
Oh, and BTW, it is a good looking ride!

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't lose hope. You can diagnose this.

Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes.
1. Verify the battery. I know it's new, but take the battery or the truck back to Autozone and have them load test the new battery- just to be sure.
2. If the battery is good, pull the negative cable off and charge the battery with an external charger. This starts you off with a charged battery.
3. Test for parasitic draw. See this video for a tutorial:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

4. If after pulling fuses you find something, chase that circuit.
5. If you don't find something, look into the Alternator bridge diodes.
6. If the above does not work; find another mechanic. This should be gravy for a good one.

At night, or when you are not driving it, disconnect a battery cable so you are not worrying / babysitting it until you find it.

Good luck, this is solvable.
Oh, and BTW, it is a good looking ride!
I’ll give it a shot. The farm truck can count itself lucky that it can do burnouts.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone’s suggestions by the way. I’m going to tackle this the best that I can. There’s a small part of me that doesn’t want to give up on the farm truck. I didn’t make a whole build list just for it to go to waste. :D

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Possible short term solution until the issue is figured out, try a quick disconnect terminal so that you can easily disconnect the battery when you get where you’re going-pop the hood, give it a few twists and off you go. Reverse steps when you’re ready to leave again. Standard side post example below, but there are all kinds of variations available.

Banseko Side Post Car Battery Disconnect Switch,Car Battery Terminal Link Quick Switch,Battery Master Switch Isolator for Power Disconnect Cut Off (with Long Bolt) https://a.co/d/i3O9VlA

Attachments

• BA4E766B-C357-428D-841B-9C8C5361620E.png
    BA4E766B-C357-428D-841B-9C8C5361620E.png
    538.8 KB · Views: 7

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The incorrect size battery is not a voltage problem it's the amps. It's the amperage that the starter needs to create the torque to spin starter.
This is an electricity problem. Something is still drawing power with key off. Don't wuss out, learn some basic low voltage electricity. This is a problem you can fix. Get a test light, and a digital multimeter. Watch some u tube vids on parasitic voltage draw troubleshooting. It'll make sense then.
As to add ons drawing parasite voltage. To eliminate them pull there fuse or disconnect, just being off does not mean they still are not drawing some low amps or volts.
In this day and age up to half your mechanical repairs , troubleshooting will be electrical knowledge.
Good luck. :grd: