Losing drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z7175074

Reaction score
97 z71, I’m slipping into neutral all gears after 5Miin driving, kill it restart it and it’s ok another 5min.
Had electrical issues the last two months. I’m scared to replace transmission and the same thing happening!
And I have a scantron code reader that went blank when I plugged into obd.
Comes on Chinese now on any car

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it full of fluid? Sorry to sound basic but I have missed that before.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old is the filter? What color is the fluid?

With electrical problems, I could see the trans reverting to 2nd gear; but not losing gears entirely so having "neutral" only.

I expect that either the Scantron wants to go home to mommy, or there's a button combination to get it to change languages. Good luck figuring that out if you can't read Chinese. Perhaps the owner's manual?

Z7175074

Reaction score
Guys I unplugged every electrical plug in tranny,it stayed in 1st but still after a min or two started slipping and went to neautral.
What I can’t figure out is how I can kill n restart it and it has drive again

Z7175074

Reaction score
I have not changed fluid and wonder if it will help? Don’t want to replace tranny n problem still there

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys I unplugged every electrical plug in tranny,it stayed in 1st but still after a min or two started slipping and went to neautral.
What I can’t figure out is how I can kill n restart it and it has drive again
Plugged filter? Shut off engine, a little fluid back-flows through the filter, pushing some dirt out of it. You start the engine, takes very little time for the filter to completely plug again.

Software issue? Shut off engine, something in the software resets. Has to run awhile before the fault returns?

Shift solenoids overheat? Shut off engine, it (they?) cool off and start working again. Run it awhile, they overheat and quit?

Z7175074

Reaction score
I’m gonna try filter n fluid change first,maybe I won’t get to the solonoids overheating