Looking to swap a 96 Bench seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My first gmt400 was a 93 Wt. I first bought a $1200 40-20-40 custom seat and installed that in it. It was really to much for that truck, so I sold it to a coworker about 1 year later for $900 plus his old 60-40 seat out of His 94 extended cab. That seat fit the truck much better. I had to drill holes for both swaps. The seat in my 97 extended cab was the 60-40. The drivers side seat bottom fabric was worn. I found a set of bucket seats out of a 95 Tahoe at a swap meet. So that's what I have in my truck now, along with the rear section of a console from a 2004 Tahoe, and the front section that I made with the Chevelle shifter that I also built. I just ordered the shift handle, I built everything else. I could not believe how easy that seat swap was. Only the front hole for the bucket seat on the driver's side did not have a hole for a bolt. Not only did it line up grate, it also plugged into the OE harness and the power seat worked. The 60-40 was not a power seat,but did have the lumbar air bag in the seats.
Man, that floor shifter is sweet. Nice work.

daw5spd

Reaction score
Wait....Toyota seats? Can I ask what seats you put in there? I have some kind of custom seats in my 94 ECLB K2500 that a previous owner installed. They don't really fit the truck, I had to modify the drivers side base to get the seat square in front of the steering wheel and have been looking to replace. The kicker is I have the original build sheet and the truck came with high back buckets and a console. Thanks

tksoldierx

Reaction score
Your backwards. The 60 side in a 96, and up year truck is on the driver's side. The 94 and earlier trucks they were passengers side 60 seat. On a 96+ truck, there are holes for that seat on the trans tunnel. As for the Tahoe back seat, you are rite, that is a no go. All of this being said, it is posable to install a 60-40 seat in place of a bench seat, but it will require drilling holes as mentioned. Bucket seats are also an option, but again it is not a direct bolt in.
My stock 94 is 60DS/40PS tho?? I think ur backwards, or that they’ve always been 60DS

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My stock 94 is 60DS/40PS tho?? I think ur backwards, or that they’ve always been 60DS
I'm not backwards. In 95 they swapped to a different interior. Different seats, dash, door panels, ECT. With the swap the driver's seat became the 60 side, and the passengers side became the 40 side. The drivers side also had a fold down console top that was also attached to the 60 driver's seat. This would fold up and make a center seat. Here are a few pics of my driver's seat before I swapped them for bucket seats. My truck is a 97.

Attachments

• 20180617_113146.jpg
    20180617_113146.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190802_085549.jpg
    20190802_085549.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 17