Looking to build a good street setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadrunner

Reaction score
What sense does it make to complain about the difficulties you're having with OBD-1/TBI if you're trying to do diagnosis without a scan tool?

You have a very good point there. I end up shooting myself in the foot trying to save a few bucks by not having one.

I think a vortec 5.7 with just a good cam/springs and a turbo would get you somewhere. Keep it from shifting 3-4-3-4 constantly.
Along with the LS1 PCM swap, you would have everything you need with a custom operating system to run the boost.

I towed with a turbo LQ4 for years and loved it. 2000 rpms at 70mph and it chugged on along like a diesel with just 6-8 psi.

This is one of the routes I have been thinking about recently. Or maybe an Lm7 swap with a turbo.

Ebl is out not being able to do electronic transmission control with out a separate controller or a piggy backed ecm for the controls.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a very good point there. I end up shooting myself in the foot trying to save a few bucks by not having one.

This is one of the routes I have been thinking about recently. Or maybe an Lm7 swap with a turbo.

Ebl is out not being able to do electronic transmission control with out a separate controller or a piggy backed ecm for the controls.

As long as you go with a quality turbo you will love it!
Me and a buddy are going to do similar setups and we have agreed that the BW S366/73 is what im going to try and he is going to get the BW S465/83 and we can compare since ill be tuning both of the trucks.
I used a BW S475/83 for years and it worked good. I just think going to a smaller compressor would help the spool time and be more in its efficiency range.

Roadrunner

Reaction score
After checking out a few different options now I think I will try to keep up the tbi 350 for another year or so with regular maintenance and live with it. It's a recently rebuilt motor and I rebuilt the trans 20k ago.

I think I will put the vortec in a square body I have sitting and sell it for engine cash for next year. I think I might have a buyer for my tbi 350 and trans and then I can do a ls swap and 4l80e.

So it looks like I'm going for a turbo ls swap next winter and I will start collecting parts for it until then. Next though I got to get the frontend done and some new tires. I'm thinking I will get that done in the beginning of May.
I still have a mountain of other vehicle work to do on the other rides we got so I got to spread the cash out over a few.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After checking out a few different options now I think I will try to keep up the tbi 350 for another year or so with regular maintenance and live with it. It's a recently rebuilt motor and I rebuilt the trans 20k ago.

I think I will put the vortec in a square body I have sitting and sell it for engine cash for next year. I think I might have a buyer for my tbi 350 and trans and then I can do a ls swap and 4l80e.

So it looks like I'm going for a turbo ls swap next winter and I will start collecting parts for it until then. Next though I got to get the frontend done and some new tires. I'm thinking I will get that done in the beginning of May.
I still have a mountain of other vehicle work to do on the other rides we got so I got to spread the cash out over a few.
You wont regret a little boost. Just do it right the first time and it will be a lot of fun!