Looking for stock style exhaust options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2JHead

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a -99 Tahoe - made in Mexico for export to Europe. It has a 5.7 TBI engine and a 4L60E deep pan transmission. I am looking for a stock style replacement exhaust.

There seems to be 3 styles of exhaust on the GMT400 over the years (?):
1) Earliest version. Separate down pipe, slip on cat, slip on cat back
2) Later TBI version. One piece cat/down pipe, flanged cat back
3) Vortec version. Dual cats.

My truck has got the early version with the slip on cat.

I am looking to get a new full system, manifolds to tail pipe. The later TBI version with the one-piece downpipe/cat seems to be more readily available than the early version.

The question is if a "version 2" system would be a direct fit on my truck? I.e. will it fit the OE manifolds and hangers and clear everything?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

JT

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Option 2 *should* work. I believe the manifolds dumped in the same spot on the TBI and Vortec varieties.

Check out Walker for OE style replacements. Their Quietflow SS muffler flows well and keeps things quiet in the cab.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OBD 2 vehicles use dual upstream O2 sensors. Does your "Option 2" y-pipe come equipped with dual bungs?

Does your OE pipe assy have 1 or 2 downstream sensors. You'll need to equip your new exhaust with the same number, and locations as OE

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with the existing exhaust system?

The OEM system is likely stainless steel, most aftermarket systems are "aluminized" mild steel. Aluminized steel typically lasts 5--8 years, OEM stainless can be good for 20+ years.

If you have OEM stainless, I suggest keeping as much as you can. Replace the catalyst as needed. Any replacement pipe--or mufflers--should be stainless steel if long service life is a consideration.

2JHead

Reaction score
Wanting OEM style exhaust as I would like to keep the truck as stock as possible. It is a a sub 100k example, very clean and untouched. I wanna keep it stock and let it slide into being a classic :)

The current exhaust:
- OEM down pipe - very rusty
- Rusted out cat
- Home made cat back system, not looking good

The car has a 1 wire O2 sensor at the driver side manifold an that's it.

If I can fit a Walker "version 2" system that would be a good option. I see that it has a bung pre cat but can be blinded of course

Stainless would be nice option. How about this combo:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gib-615558/make/chevrolet/model/tahoe/year/1995
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-23256/make/chevrolet/model/tahoe/year/1995

Think it would work?

Last edited: