Looking for Peanut small roller cam(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not just put the Vortec roller cam in? Much more common to find and runs in the same rpm range but more torque than the Caprice one for sure.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, got any specs on that cam?? Part numbers etc?

I will bet by more torque the cam your talking about does that by raising the power curve higher in the RPM range.

Which is counter to the engine's use as a van engine.

The real trick for MPG is to operate your engine at near its torque peek RPMs at your most used cruse speed.

I don’t know how many remember the truckers protest decades ago during a fuel crunch with the 55MPH Speed limits.

Their main protest was over the fact their big rigs were fine-tuned with gearing for cruising at 70/75MPH and being forced to run at 55/60 was causing lower MPG and cutting into their income.

Rich

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rather than the peanut cam use a set of Rhoads lifters on the GM 395 marine cam. The 395' cam is 196/206 @ 0.050., .431/.451 lift and a torque producing 109 LSA.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-build-a-cheap-small-block-chevy/

If you could find a pair, get a set of Thorley TH315Y tri-ys for a G-van. Gained more torque from those headers than I did from TPI. Come off their 2.5" collectors with a 2.5" pipe and go to a vibrant 2.5" to 3" merge Y and use a free flowing 3" muffler like a magnaflow.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again for help, The idea of running a stronger cam with a set of Rhord's lifters is interesting idea.

It would require a cam with as close to these specs: My cam: Duration 206/ 213 Lift 431/428.

The GM 395 marine cam has 196/206 @ 0.050., .431/.451 lift and a torque producing 109 LSA matches. I have been told and read a 114 LSA has more torque that a 109, but for this second engine that is nothing I would worry about.

And one got one of these cams for sale cheap? Not the cam no one wants...

Basically the same set up I am using in my 383...I like it especially if I can get a cam cheaply.

I even have a second TPI set up so it would be a smaller version of my big build.

But the idea of headers will have to wait until I have gotten everything else done.

They would require a lot of work to fit in and a lot of work making two new exhaust systems to go with them. It would have to taken to a Muffler shop and have custom pipes made. I really question if they would give that much a gain in torque to be worth the costs?

Also again I suspect they too will mainly work in higher RPMs where my plans call for cruising at 1500 to 2000 RPMs.

That is where I want all my torque possible to have to power to overcome wind and road resistance with the engine hardly working, I even have considered pumping losses as a factor, that is I want to spoil the high vacuum of a nearly closed throttle by injecting EGR to off set that.

As I understand things that is ONE of the advantages of a Diesel, no pumping losses as they have no engine vacuum because thy have no throttle plates.

Luckily I converted my vacuum brake booster to hydro boost so I only need vacuum for the dash A/C controls and perhaps for the original EGR which I will add a external vacuum pump and control the extra EGR by a system like from a Ford that would be operated by the PCM electronically.

This will be my grand experiment....if it fails I at least will have given my best shot.

Rich

Rather than the peanut cam use a set of Rhoads lifters on the GM 395 marine cam. The 395' cam is 196/206 @ 0.050., .431/.451 lift and a torque producing 109 LSA.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-build-a-cheap-small-block-chevy/

If you could find a pair, get a set of Thorley TH315Y tri-ys for a G-van. Gained more torque from those headers than I did from TPI. Come off their 2.5" collectors with a 2.5" pipe and go to a vibrant 2.5" to 3" merge Y and use a free flowing 3" muffler like a magnaflow.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Luckily I converted my vacuum brake booster to hydro boost so I only need vacuum for the dash A/C controls...

Vans have vacuum HVAC controls? My 69 Buick LeSabre is vacuum, and I thought that went out in the 70's or early 80's.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes and so does my 02 Ford Explorer, and 03 Crown Vic and as far as I know Vic did up to 2011...after all it is a simple cheap system....

They do have electrical controlled blend doors....they control the temp, but selecting functions all seem to still use vacuum.

Vans have vacuum HVAC controls? My 69 Buick LeSabre is vacuum, and I thought that went out in the 70's or early 80's.

The '02 Camaro/Trans Am had vacuum controls. Might have continued in other vehicles. Surprise!

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting, got any specs on that cam?? Part numbers etc?

I will bet by more torque the cam your talking about does that by raising the power curve higher in the RPM range.

Which is counter to the engine's use as a van engine.

The real trick for MPG is to operate your engine at near its torque peek RPMs at your most used cruse speed.

I don’t know how many remember the truckers protest decades ago during a fuel crunch with the 55MPH Speed limits.

Their main protest was over the fact their big rigs were fine-tuned with gearing for cruising at 70/75MPH and being forced to run at 55/60 was causing lower MPG and cutting into their income.

Rich
Chevrolet Performance #12041264
191/196 @.050 .414/.428 111LSA

This cam was used in full size trucks and Caprice/Impala SS so obviously it is a low torque cam, even used in 305s and mini LT1s. You can probably get new take offs from ebay or buy it from Jegs/Summit.