Looking For Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Ok, I read through all four pages and no one has touched on this but...

I owned an '88 454 TBI truck. I too, saw that the factory tach (once installed, did the '90.5 moonie to needle swap) was reading 1000 rpm's while hot at idle. I did not have my MT2500 at the time so I ran through all kinds of hoops replacing everything from the IAC to the MAP sensor to the TPS, ECT sensor and rebuilding the throttle body & setting the timing and messing with base idle. NO CHANGE. I finally got a good deal on a MT2500. Hooked it up, info said it was idling at 800, tach just indicated 1000. Then I read somewhere that these idle higher than the tree-fiddies to help protect the cam, flat tappet and such. Makes sense. I relayed this to my one buddy who asked me a simple question; "Did it sound right?" Yeah I guess.. He almost smacked me. Would've been justified. Like everyone else was saying, you need to be able to see the data. My IAC counts were never 0, which would've indicated the computer was trying to compensate for a high idle condition which also would have set the CEL. I verified this by playing with the base idle; if I lowered it, more IAC counts to compensate & vice versa.. Now, my base idle did need to be adjusted slightly higher (I suspect someone else was frustrated by the "High idle" before me, as the cover was already punched out on the TBI) as the idle would hunt on cold starts, something else I read somewhere as normal for base idle being out of spec. Food for thought man, good luck with it!

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I read through all four pages and no one has touched on this but...

I owned an '88 454 TBI truck. I too, saw that the factory tach (once installed, did the '90.5 moonie to needle swap) was reading 1000 rpm's while hot at idle. I did not have my MT2500 at the time so I ran through all kinds of hoops replacing everything from the IAC to the MAP sensor to the TPS, ECT sensor and rebuilding the throttle body & setting the timing and messing with base idle. NO CHANGE. I finally got a good deal on a MT2500. Hooked it up, info said it was idling at 800, tach just indicated 1000. Then I read somewhere that these idle higher than the tree-fiddies to help protect the cam, flat tappet and such. Makes sense. I relayed this to my one buddy who asked me a simple question; "Did it sound right?" Yeah I guess.. He almost smacked me. Would've been justified. Like everyone else was saying, you need to be able to see the data. My IAC counts were never 0, which would've indicated the computer was trying to compensate for a high idle condition which also would have set the CEL. I verified this by playing with the base idle; if I lowered it, more IAC counts to compensate & vice versa.. Now, my base idle did need to be adjusted slightly higher (I suspect someone else was frustrated by the "High idle" before me, as the cover was already punched out on the TBI) as the idle would hunt on cold starts, something else I read somewhere as normal for base idle being out of spec. Food for thought man, good luck with it!

Thank you, I guess Ill have to find someonw with a scan tool then becuase Im getting the same answers from most guys and Ive replaced al sensors and everything else suggested EXCEPT for getting scanned. Does it atke special scanner
Bobby V

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
That truck of yours looks mint, especially the engine bay. Someone gave a squat when they bought the TBI specific stuff for it and I'm glad they did. Too many people carb slap these things..

Nope, like someone else said you can get that R/T(?) tuner software for free and use a laptop if you have one for cheap. I got a good deal on an old Snap-On MT2500 with all the dongles and cartridges. Archaic for sure but since all I drive is OBDI it works for me just fine. You just want something that will show you LIVE data, more than just codes. It's fun hooking that thing up to my truck and driving around with it to see what my truck is doing, or any car which supports live data. Ford stuff sucks for that pre ~'92. Least GM was nice and gave us the ability way early in comparison.