Looking For Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can watch real time or playback.

You must be registered for see images attach

View Error codes

Lots of good stuff...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how much money do you think we all have at our disposal to throw at our 20+ year old trucks?
It's not a matter of money, or the age of the vehicle.

It's a matter of "how committed are you to fixing the vehicle". There's just no point to owning a computer-controlled vehicle that you want to D-I-Y, and NOT having a suitable diagnostic tool.

Far as I'm concerned, you need a compression tester, a vacuum gauge, a fuel-pressure gauge, a 12-volt test light, a spark-tester, and a typical automotive multimeter in addition to the scan tool. If you buy all this at Hazzard Fraught, you'll be unable to trust the results because the tools are so cheaply made. Better to buy "good used" tools than "new junk" tools.

A proper cylinder leakdown tester, and an automotive oscilloscope/graphing multimeter are optional but recommended.

Not everyone can get their hands on a scan tool that easily. Do you have a link for an inexpensive new tool that reads OBD-I?
I have no insight on "new" inexpensive (consumer-grade) scan tools. Frankly, I don't trust 'em.

I bought an ancient Snap-On MTG2500 (similar to the more-popular MT2500.) The MT2500 can be had for $150--$400 (and up) depending on the software cartridge(s) and connectors included. The '2500 series software support ended in 2009. They're WAY out-of-date for professional use--but with the right software, they're good-to-go for 1980 1/2 to 2009 (My unit has software support only to 2006.) As the newest vehicle I own is a 2003, I'm all set.

There are many other manufacturers of professional-grade scan tools, and other (newer) models in the Snap-On line. The '2500 series was replaced with the Solus, which itself has no further software support. The Solus was replaced with...Solus Pro (?), then Solus Ultra, and the current model is Solus Edge. As the tools get newer, they get more expensive.

Software-and-a-connector-cable for use with an ordinary laptop computer is probably a less-expensive process for "new" product. I've got no experience there.

Last edited:

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys but sometimes I gotta admit I feel so lost when I read your "remedies" sorry I know you re only trying to help but Im old and not real mechanical :(
Bobby V

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can view all that real-time data with OBD-I?
Of course. How do you think these vehicles got fixed when they were new? Mechanics were no more telepathic then than they are now.

The systems were slower. They wouldn't update as fast, and they didn't process as much information. There were fewer sensors, and fewer outputs. And the scan tools available were just as primitive. The Red Brick "2500 series" from Snappy was state-of-the-art...in about 1987. MULTIPLE LINES of dot-matrix text on a screen the size of six postage stamps! We thought we were in Heaven.

But all the basics were there, going back to the "pre-historic" 1981 GM stuff, except for Chevette "T" body. O2 sensor voltage, coolant temp, MAP, knock sensor, TCC, stored codes, etc.

The Ford MCU system was a disaster--although the GM "Min-T" Chevette system was at least that bad. Ford EEC-IV was somewhat better. Chrysler was different, but about the same in terms of being technician-friendly (i.e., pretty lame.) But GM did an adequate job pretty-much right from the beginning except on the T car. And things at GM got a lot better around '86 or so--faster, more powerful computers.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can view all that real-time data with OBD-I? I thought that was for OBD-II.

Yes, that screen shot is from my 88 C1500 (1227747 ECM) 5.7L. These old ECMs (80-91 trucks) run on a baud rate of 160 where the newer ones (like the 16197427) in 92-95 trucks) are 8192, much slower update rate. My .bin has a "patch" where I can see BPW (injector Base Pulse Width) and SA (Spark Advance) as shown on the screen shot above.

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course. How do you think these vehicles got fixed when they were new? Mechanics were no more telepathic then than they are now.

The systems were slower. They wouldn't update as fast, and they didn't process as much information. There were fewer sensors, and fewer outputs. And the scan tools available were just as primitive. The Red Brick "2500 series" from Snappy was state-of-the-art...in about 1987. MULTIPLE LINES of dot-matrix text on a screen the size of six postage stamps! We thought we were in Heaven.

But all the basics were there, going back to the "pre-historic" 1981 GM stuff, except for Chevette "T" body. O2 sensor voltage, coolant temp, MAP, knock sensor, TCC, stored codes, etc.

The Ford MCU system was a disaster--although the GM "Min-T" Chevette system was at least that bad. Ford EEC-IV was somewhat better. Chrysler was different, but about the same in terms of being technician-friendly (i.e., pretty lame.) But GM did an adequate job pretty-much right from the beginning except on the T car. And things at GM got a lot better around '86 or so--faster, more powerful computers.

I always thought pre OBD-II was just "paper-clip in the right holes and count the flashing light" level or lower diagnostics. Thanks for the info!

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just as I thought EUG, I took the dash apart and someone had installed some cheapass LED bulbs and so I replaced them with regular 194 (but fpr back lighting I used the Sealight brand which are pretty awesome, nice and bright) put it all back togather and viola, the CEL now shines brightly. It comes on upon start up like it should and goes off as it should.
So my question is where does that leave us now. if there was a problem wouldn't it stay on? Or do I still need to jump the A-B port and try to decipher the codes if there are any ???
Thanks
Bobby V