Looking for a very clean 98 GMC 2500 steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
df2x4: any chance you know what years of stock leather wheels are interchangeable? and if 1/2t and 3/4t differ ?
95-02 wheels will interchange. The only difference was the air bag design. But you don't have to worry with that since you don't have to hook it up. 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton wheels are all the same. (All that I've come across) Older wheels back to 88 will work but look retarded with the trim on the steering column.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pax - airline speak for passenger ... sorry about that. On my passenger mirror I cannot adjust it in far enough to see the side of the truck - was wondering how your's turned out. Cheers

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
Pax - airline speak for passenger ... sorry about that. On my passenger mirror I cannot adjust it in far enough to see the side of the truck - was wondering how your's turned out. Cheers
Learn something new everyday! Mine adjust in to where all I can see is the truck. But then again I ride with the seat all the way back. At 6'1" and 275lbs I'm a pretty large fellow! Lol!

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6'1" 275 - that's like 2 of me :) I now understand why your situation doesn't equal mine. 5'8' 175. Considered platform shoes but still leaves me with arms that won't reach the wheel.... :-0 Cheers

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
df2x4: any chance you know what years of stock leather wheels are interchangeable? and if 1/2t and 3/4t differ ?

I believe that any 95+ GMT400 leather wheel will work, but don't quote me on that. Be aware that there is a small center version and a large center version.

Did your truck come from the factory without a driver's side airbag or did you remove it? Reason I ask is I'm curious if GM ever made a non-airbag wheel for the 95+ trucks.

EDIT - Here's a thread I made a long time ago when I was looking for a wheel for my red truck. There's pictures in here of both varieties of 95+ leather wrapped wheels.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/95-99-oem-steering-wheel-airbag-style-leather-wrapped.32084/

Someone in that thread mentions that the small center wheels were 98+.

Last edited:

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
Did your truck come from the factory without a driver's side airbag or did you remove it? Reason I ask is I'm curious if GM ever made a non-airbag wheel for 95+ trucks?

All 2500 8 lug trucks and 3500 trucks came without airbags. His wheel is a factory leather wrapped non-airbag wheel. This is what my truck had before I replaced it with the smaller 98+ wheel. The 95-97 wheels have a lager rectangular airbag, and 98-02 have the smaller square airbag. Any of them will work. Just have to match the bag to the wheel. Only 98-02 wheels will accept the steering wheel mounted audio controls.
95-97 wheel
You must be registered for see images attach
98-02 wheel

98-02 wheel with audio controls

95-00 non-airbag wheel

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All 2500 8 lug trucks and 3500 trucks came without airbags. His wheel is a factory leather wrapped non-airbag wheel. This is what my truck had before I replaced it with the smaller 98+ wheel. The 95-97 wheels have a lager rectangular airbag, and 98-02 have the smaller square airbag. Any of them will work. Just have to match the bag to the wheel. Only 98-02 wheels will accept the steering wheel mounted audio controls.
95-97 wheel
98-02 wheel

98-02 wheel with audio controls

95-00 non-airbag wheel

Thanks, I figured it was something to do with the 2500s and 3500s considering some of them got the passenger dash storage pocket instead of a passenger airbag. So are the airbag wheels the exact same as the non-airbag wheels, just minus the bag itself?

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
Thanks, I figured it was something to do with the 2500s and 3500s considering some of them got the passenger dash storage pocket instead of a passenger airbag. So are the airbag wheels the exact same as the non-airbag wheels, just minus the bag itself?
No, the no-bag wheel is a totally different animal. The center of it is larger than the bag wheel. And it's somewhat softer than the bag center. I imagine this was done in case there was an accident. You have to poke around behind the bag wheels with a screwdriver to release the bag. On the no-bag wheel it just snaps on like a regular horn button.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 2000 K2500, I believe still has the large, non airbag wheel.

The passenger airbag “delete” pocket just fit in the hole where the passenger bag went.

Here is a spare pocket I have

If you can’t find a non airbag leather wheel, I think I still have a very nice airbag one