Looking for a hand held scanner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please can anyone suggest a hand held scanner I can use to set timing and reset crank position sensor ? Not looking to use the cloud.
Thanks in advance

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use an ancient Snap-On MTG-2500. Extremely similar to the less-expensive and more popular MT2500.

You'll need a software cartridge new enough to work with your vehicle. 2003 is fairly common. 2006 are available. Supposedly, Snappy offered support to 2009, but I've never seen one that new.

I have an '80 1/2--99 cartridge, and a '96--2006 cart. OBD-I uses a heap of adapters to connect to the ALDL. OBD-II uses a single adapter, but may or may not require a "key" to adapt the adapter.

Anyway, the 2500 series is WAY obsolete--which means they're inexpensive,

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I use an older MT 2500 for my trucks. The OBDI trucks do not need a personality key But the OBDII trucks do. The Chevy Adapter for OBDI requires a power cord to run the scanner and the OBDII adapter is self powered The K9 key should work for yours IF you decide to find a MT 2500

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I will find one and try to learn how to use
I am sorry did not give year of Tahoe
1997 5.7 now 383 stock ecm

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on your budget and usage as well as knowledge, your Local Harbor Freight carries a brand known as "ZURICH".
(New Zurich ZR15 $299.99 or a ZR13 $189.99) which I have, that are compatible with both Trucks/Cars Import and Domestic. And being OBI & OBDII compliant you can't go wrong, your choice. And Good Luck!

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Depending on your budget and usage as well as knowledge, your Local Harbor Freight carries a brand known as "ZURICH".
(New Zurich ZR15 $299.99 or a ZR13 $189.99) which I have, that are compatible with both Trucks/Cars Import and Domestic. And being OBI & OBDII compliant you can't go wrong, your choice. And Good Luck!

A question if you will, does the Zurich allow you to see and set the cam position retard offset? thanks

Last edited:

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I got a red brick mt2500 I would sell if you want one of them. I bought to do abs but it seems you need a cartridge that is hard to find. PM me if you want it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cartridges allow for Engine, ABS, Trans, Instrument Cluster, etc. on my 2003 Trailblazer, and ABS and Engine on my '88 K1500. Works for Engine, Trans, and ABS on my '92 and '93 Luminas.

Haven't used it extensively on my '97 K2500; but I know for sure that it handles Engine, Trans, and ABS. It may work with Instrument cluster as well. Not sure.

Lots of crappy "consumer grade" scan tools only work with the engine, not ABS, cluster, body computer, trans, or whatever. BUYER BEWARE. This is why I prefer a used "professional grade" scan tool to a brand-new "consumer grade" piece of crap.