Looking for a cheap Auxiliary Fuel Tank solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. I still shudder at the thought of what it'll cost for a pair of those porkchop tanks to get built. But I'll need them to pull long distance over 20k GCWR.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I think Dave (@88GMCtruck) was devising a plan to put the larger gas tank out of the long beds into his stepside, I don't know if he ever made any progress or if he scrapped that idea.
I had plans to, but never did. It would only work on my truck because of how tall it's lifted, the tank would go above the axle.

I'd like to see if I could get the suburban tank to squeeze between the frame rails where the spare tire would go. Not sure what I'd do with filing it but that would ad 35 gallons of capacity
I think shortbeds can use a 2-door tahoe tank, longbeds can use a suburban tank. I know suburban tanks are 42 gallon (it's huge). I almost kept mine but I didn't want to deal with moving the spare and finding another place for it, etc.

Yup. I still shudder at the thought of what it'll cost for a pair of those porkchop tanks to get built. But I'll need them to pull long distance over 20k GCWR.
Titan already makes them, still way $$$$
http://titanfueltanks.com/titan-sidekick-15-gal-portable-liquid-tank-5040015

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Flatbed it and saddle tank it. 35" wide and holds 50. It be interesting to see if it would fit up where your spare tire is. Again you would lose your spare tire of course.
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I had plans to, but never did. It would only work on my truck because of how tall it's lifted, the tank would go above the axle.

I think shortbeds can use a 2-door tahoe tank, longbeds can use a suburban tank. I know suburban tanks are 42 gallon (it's huge). I almost kept mine but I didn't want to deal with moving the spare and finding another place for it, etc.

Titan already makes them, still way $$$$
http://titanfueltanks.com/titan-sidekick-15-gal-portable-liquid-tank-5040015

My only concern with that $$$ Titan is filling it when there's a camper in the bed.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flatbed it and saddle tank it. 35" wide and holds 50. It be interesting to see if it would fit up where your spare tire is. Again you would lose your spare tire of course.
You must be registered for see images attach

I like the idea. My spare tire carrier is so corroded and rusty it will never hold a spare again. Plus with a dually you can usually swap tires around long enough to get you out of an emergency.

dave_erald

Reaction score
Last edited:

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was that, or if you got your exhaust routed to out side the frame (like my truck) you could put a second tank across from the factory one

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27574506/gotomsg/27585680.cfm

This guy fabbed one up and mounted in bed in front of tool box. Extra 25 gallons and you don't lose a spare tire, only maybe 6-8 inches of bed space?

Its not bad but the people on that forum are correct that a gravity spill tank is against DOT rules for gas. Not that I'm horribly worried about DOT laws, but you never know when smokey may have woken up with a stick up his ass.

This tank would be a little more inconspicuous as long as I can switch between tanks, or, weld bungs in both tanks with a 1" hose between them and run them like saddle tanks on a tractor. Oh and its $90 bucks...

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1335968&cc=1303872&jsn=464

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It was that, or if you got your exhaust routed to out side the frame (like my truck) you could put a second tank across from the factory one

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27574506/gotomsg/27585680.cfm

This guy fabbed one up and mounted in bed in front of tool box. Extra 25 gallons and you don't lose a spare tire, only maybe 6-8 inches of bed space?

Sounds innocent enough, but those 6" can make or break you with the center of balance in a slide in camper. They're usually only 6" in front of the axle when it's all the forward to begin with.

dave_erald

Reaction score
Hadn't even considered that gravity feed would be illegal. Of course you could wire it up to be a seperate tank instead of gravity drain into the other. Regardless, just ideas to get the brain working is all.

Hope you find a good solution. And if you do please post it!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is gravity feed still illegal with a shutoff? I forget. My intent is just that. Also to ensure the vent is shared with the main tank.