Long wheelbase to short wheel base 94 gmc 1500 reg cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
A suggestion for the piece of metal that you are adding in for your extra strength i would change the way you have it. I would do what is called fish plating. it allows for more weld surface area. Google fish plate frame and you can see different ways of doing it.
I continued reading about it and see what your saying now. It’s wild how not bringing the welds together allows it to flex a tiny bit to prevent cracking.

cookseyb

Reaction score
Stacey David (Gears Host) has a excellent video on how to do this without creating stress risers in the frame. Check him out on YouTube.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I continued reading about it and see what your saying now. It’s wild how not bringing the welds together allows it to flex a tiny bit to prevent cracking.
Your welcome for the insight on it. I had never heard of it before either until a buddy of mines Hi boys frame cracked and that is what he did to fix it.

Reaction score
Your welcome for the insight on it. I had never heard of it before either until a buddy of mines Hi boys frame cracked and that is what he did to fix it.
Did he do it to the inside of the frame and the outside?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did he do it to the inside of the frame and the outside?

I don't remember if he did or not. When he did it it was 10-15 years ago.

Yeah I like the idea but I also like the idea of how my support plate wraps around the bottom
You can always make smaller fish plates that go on the top and bottom frame rails as well.

Reaction score
I don't remember if he did or not. When he did it it was 10-15 years ago.

You can always make smaller fish plates that go on the top and bottom frame rails as well.
Yeah that’s true... it’s a little late now i finished it up this past weekend. I welded the outside of the piece you can see in the picture about then decided to get another plate for the inside. I used the bolts to sand which the frame then went ahead and put a weld around the inside plate also. I’ll post a pic this evening

Reaction score
So I dropped a drive shaft on my phone so im currently without my camera or all the pictures I took to help me know how to put this mess back together... Also im delayed on getting the cab and bed set back on because im doing a 454 swap. Its an 82 mark iv 454 and I previously had the 305 with the new carb bs so im having to sort thru what I have to remove in order to make it work... Not making excuses but im working on this solo so forgive me for the drawn out process!