Long Tube vs Shorty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this has been debated and brought up many different times, but I can't seem to find a straight forward answer.

Looking to add headers to my '97 350. What are the different benefits of going long tube vs shorty?

From what I've heard long tube are better for high RPM torque, shorty for low RPM torque.

Anybody have anything to add as to what the better option would be?

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Short Tubes; little gain, but better than stock. Very easy install, Cheaper.
Mid-Length; Great in between from long tubes and shorties. Easy Install, Average Price.
Long Tubes; Lose low end, gain a lot of top end. Pain in the arse Install, Expensive.

There was an article on HotRod Magazine with a 350, and a header test. For their application, the best overall headers ended up being 1 5/8" Mid-Length headers.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mid-Length; Great in between from long tubes and shorties. Easy Install, Average Price.
Long Tubes; Lose low end, gain a lot of top end. Pain in the arse Install, Expensive.

There was an article on HotRod Magazine with a 350, and a header test. For their application, the best overall headers ended up being 1 5/8" Mid-Length headers.

I know someone who did a real nice write up on mid-length header install. ;)

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...Pipe-on-a-Vortec-3%94-SI-SO-Exhaust-for-Burbs

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know this has been debated and brought up many different times, but I can't seem to find a straight forward answer.

Looking to add headers to my '97 350. What are the different benefits of going long tube vs shorty?

From what I've heard long tube are better for high RPM torque, shorty for low RPM torque.

Anybody have anything to add as to what the better option would be?

You guys both have it backwards, I don't understand how this myth is perpetuated. Long tubes give greater low end torque, shorties more on the top end. Think of it more like an intake manifold. Long runners give you a ton of midrange torque like a TPI and short runners top end like an LT1. Yes the LT1 still had great low end, but that's beside the point. Aftermarket intakes rarely exceed the top end capabilities of the stock LT1 intake and even when they do, it's by a marginal amount. Mid length are supposed to give the best mid range especially when they're a tri-y design. I once found an article where they compared long tubes to shorties on a 5.0 Mustang engine and the difference was only a few ft/lb down low, I was kind of surprised by that. I put long tubes in mine and it was one of the things that made it downshift less for a hill. Still not as significant as a tune. TB lip removal helped a lot too for holding a gear.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
You guys both have it backwards, I don't understand how this myth is perpetuated. Long tubes give greater low end torque, shorties more on the top end. Think of it more like an intake manifold. Long runners give you a ton of midrange torque like a TPI and short runners top end like an LT1. Yes the LT1 still had great low end, but that's beside the point. Aftermarket intakes rarely exceed the top end capabilities of the stock LT1 intake and even when they do, it's by a marginal amount. Mid length are supposed to give the best mid range especially when they're a tri-y design. I once found an article where they compared long tubes to shorties on a 5.0 Mustang engine and the difference was only a few ft/lb down low, I was kind of surprised by that. I put long tubes in mine and it was one of the things that made it downshift less for a hill. Still not as significant as a tune. TB lip removal helped a lot too for holding a gear.

That's your first post?

You're misinformed, buddy. I suggest you do some research. If anything, you either LOSE or stay unchanged, low end when going to long tubes.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I should be more clear - large diameter, long tubers are really poor for low-end. Typically, long tubes have 1-7/8 diameter pipes, and the combination of both, results in lower performance. However, I will stand corrected and say if you had long tubes with 1-3/8 or 1-1/2 diameter pipes, you would see good gains.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I went with 1 5/8" long tubes and observed idle to WOT gains, but what do I know? First hand experience clearly counts for nothing. 1 3/4" long tubes with a dual 3" x pipe on my Z06 produced the same results. Climbing a hill at 1,500 RPM gives better response than stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJost