Long overdue join

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, took a trip to the pick-n-pull today, and boy did I find myself a jem! A 1999 Yukon Denali that was put out in the lot yesterday!!! The truck had 177,332 mi on the clock, and it didnt seem like there was anything wrong with it. Interior looks like it's been sitting outside with the windows down for... well a long time, so not too sure if the Denali interior would be worth saving. But if someone is interested enough, I may pull it and ship it for someone. But anyways, I snagged the cluster (finally get to LED swap. And 120mph swap the old pickup) temp/compass mirror, fog switch, dash cubby (odd that a denali had a cubby instead of a CD player) and the temp probe. Need to go back to the yard and find a double switch bezel for the fog light/cargo light switches. But yeah, best $30 I've ever spent on this truck

Also, question on the denali cluster, it seems like the gauge needles are clear, are most of them like that??? Every other IP I've seen has the God awful yellow needles
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, the needles are clear until you turn on the lights, then they turn yellow, and the back ground turns blue green. I installed a Denali cluster from a 99 into my 97 Silverado a few months ago. I love it, but I did have to recal the speedo. Mine had more miles, so I took a drill and spun up the OD to the same as mine. The other way, is to take your OD and swap it into the Denali cluster. I also had to swap out all of the gauge steeper motors. Mine were good, but the one in the Denali were shot. The steeper motors for the tach and speedo were good.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, and no I didnt install LEDs. I keep those for under the hood.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, and no I didnt install LEDs. I keep those for under the hood.
That is a cool insulation piece! But I lit up the cluster with a few flashlights I had lying around (one white LED, and one old style halogen) and I was more of a fan of the LED. But personal preference I reckon. I couldn't get the needles to light up, but thank you for clearing that up for me. Is there a way to take the yellow out of it? Or change to another color? I have a trans temp gauge that the denali dash looks like it will match up color wise, but the needle on the temp gauge is red

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I looked at the gauges on the Denali cluster, and the blue green is printed on the numbers behind the face. As for the needles, Im not sure, I didnt look at them close. I just used the Denali needles on my OE steeper motors, but I'll bet the color is on the round part of the needle. The needles on the Denali cluster only change color after it is light up. As for the LEDs, keep in mind that you can not dim LEDs. If you do, they will just go off. A lot of people do put LEDs in them though.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, took a trip to the pick-n-pull today, and boy did I find myself a jem! A 1999 Yukon Denali that was put out in the lot yesterday!!! The truck had 177,332 mi on the clock, and it didnt seem like there was anything wrong with it. Interior looks like it's been sitting outside with the windows down for... well a long time, so not too sure if the Denali interior would be worth saving. But if someone is interested enough, I may pull it and ship it for someone. But anyways, I snagged the cluster (finally get to LED swap. And 120mph swap the old pickup) temp/compass mirror, fog switch, dash cubby (odd that a denali had a cubby instead of a CD player) and the temp probe. Need to go back to the yard and find a double switch bezel for the fog light/cargo light switches. But yeah, best $30 I've ever spent on this truck

Also, question on the denali cluster, it seems like the gauge needles are clear, are most of them like that??? Every other IP I've seen has the God awful yellow needles
Good score! Sucks that the interior sounds like it was destroyed. I can help you out on the double switch bezel if needed.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked at the gauges on the Denali cluster, and the blue green is printed on the numbers behind the face. As for the needles, Im not sure, I didnt look at them close. I just used the Denali needles on my OE steeper motors, but I'll bet the color is on the round part of the needle. The needles on the Denali cluster only change color after it is light up. As for the LEDs, keep in mind that you can not dim LEDs. If you do, they will just go off. A lot of people do put LEDs in them though.
Thank you for the heads up, I've seen dimmable LEDs before, but I highly doubt they make them for the smaller 194 bulbs.

Good score! Sucks that the interior sounds like it was destroyed. I can help you out on the double switch bezel if needed.
It does suck, I'll take some pictures of it and see if anyone thinks it's worth grabbing as I'm going back out today, but I think I seen a double switch bezel yesterday, but if not I'll shoot you a message!

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for the heads up, I've seen dimmable LEDs before, but I highly doubt they make them for the smaller 194 bulbs.

It does suck, I'll take some pictures of it and see if anyone thinks it's worth grabbing as I'm going back out today, but I think I seen a double switch bezel yesterday, but if not I'll shoot you a message!

keep an eye out for the latch on the center console for the top part..the retainer is often broken. And keep an eye out for the rear cupholder on the center console. They broke off often, and were usually thrown away or lost along the way. As a result they are hard to find!

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
keep an eye out for the latch on the center console for the top part..the retainer is often broken. And keep an eye out for the rear cupholder on the center console. They broke off often, and were usually thrown away or lost along the way. As a result they are hard to find!
I remember seeing the console latch, and I seen two cupholders for the back of the center console. I seen a good condition OHC console out of a 99 Tahoe that has the garage opener on it, but someone cut the harness out of it. But I'd imagine someone may want it? I have no need for a OHC as my pickup has a conversion style in it already. But I'll see what I can grab when I get there

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Well sad to say that denali was already ripped apart by the time I got there this morning, cupholder for the center console looked like it was stepped on, and the latch was junk. So were the other latches I found for center consoles. But I did find tons. (Like 10 or 12) rear cupholders for the center consoles. I picked up the only red one, and one of the many gray ones. I can always pick up more if needed.

But while I was there I did find some goodies, found a GMT400 temp probe instead of the GMT800 one that I grabbed yesterday, looks like a 14" mast antenna, 2 DICs (seen a bunch more in working order) another cargo light, a double switch bezel and a NIB LED tails that I found in an Express van back cubby. Never been a huge fan of LED tails, but a $10 set of NIB tails, I cant complain too much. So I threw them on the truck afterwards

But heres some jems I found, as well as the denali if someone is interested in anything from it

This guy is a 93' timeless conversion, still has most of the wood trim, and the body kit was in really good shape

And the denali that somehow within 12 or so hours, the engine, and the front diff have been taken, and the interior trashed. Kinda impressed by that, doesnt seem like much else was destroyed