loctite 592

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loctite/Permatex were, at one time, owned by the same holding company. They've since split-up.

Best I can tell, they still sell some of the same products. I don't know which one actually makes the stuff, and which one is just buying re-labeled packages of it and reselling.

Point is, both companies sell "592". And for the record, "592" is the exact same product used by GM, and also sold in "GM/Delco" packaging.

592 and other anaerobic thread sealants are ten times as good as "RTV Silicone" for sealing threads, AND genuine thread sealant doesn't shred like RTV Silicone when you remove the part later.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Loctite/Permatex were, at one time, owned by the same holding company. They've since split-up.

Best I can tell, they still sell some of the same products. I don't know which one actually makes the stuff, and which one is just buying re-labeled packages of it and reselling.

Point is, both companies sell "592". And for the record, "592" is the exact same product used by GM, and also sold in "GM/Delco" packaging.

592 and other anaerobic thread sealants are ten times as good as "RTV Silicone" for sealing threads, AND genuine thread sealant doesn't shred like RTV Silicone when you remove the part later.
you mean that the sealer that comes on GM head bolts and sensors is 592 and that it's reusable?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM--at the factory--probably uses a different, pre-applied sealer on head bolts and pipe thread fittings. GM--for service repairs at the dealership--advises the GM-labeled version of 592 for any re-used items that need to be sealed.

No, 592 is not "reusable". You'd clean off the old sealer, and apply fresh each time.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM probably uses Loctite Vibra-Seal/Dri-Seal for thread sealant at the factory, just like it probably uses Loctite Dri-Loc thread locking compounds. These aren't really available for the private consumer because they are supplied in bulk containers that are quite costly. Private consumers purchase the "wet" versions at local auto stores.